Getting a bike running out of storage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, And welcome to the GSR.

Let us know of your progress on this. Many guys here more knolegable and more experienced (and better spellers) than I that will help.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Luke; interesting about the ATF application: what is it about the ATF that makes it useful in this scenario?

Comment

ATF is pretty much just an oil with loads of detergents in it. It helps free things up, and is a good to put into an engine before you start it for the first time after a long dormant period. Some people use that mystery oil stuff too, I've always used ATF.

Comment

Is using ATF better than using diesel? I have always filled the cylinders with diesel after a motor has sat for a while. Let it drain down and then put the plugs back in and fired it up. We used to free up seized tractor engines this way. Fill up the crankcase with diesel, and through the plugs or air intake on a diesel let it sit for a week sometimes longer, depending on free time. Drain it and then turn it over by hand with a really long cheater bar.
          When I pulled my bike out after three years. I did the same. Just to be safe before starting it up.

Comment

I'm pretty sure either will work just fine.

Comment

well thanks everyone for all of you in depth comments!! I will take all of theis awsome info and see what I can do. It might be a week or two. But I'll keep you all posted!

Comment

I know I have posted this before, but since we are on the subject of ATF, you can add 500 mL of ATF to your engine oil to prolong your clutch. I believe it keeps the plates from getting glazed.

Comment

Working...
                X