Dyna III on GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna III on GK

I picked up a dyna III with the intentions of putting it on my 1982 GS1100GK. Are there any traps or special issues I need to be prepared for?

Thanks
    RG

Re: Dyna III on GK

I've only set up one Dyna III and the proceedure was the same as it is for the Dyna "S". I didnt find anything different or unusual to watch out for.

Earl

Originally posted by rgierer
    I picked up a dyna III with the intentions of putting it on my 1982 GS1100GK. Are there any traps or special issues I need to be prepared for?

Thanks
    RG
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

depending on you current ign you may have to retro fit a mechanical advance unit

Comment

Yes, it is also looking for one of this Dyna III.
        But really hope to see a photo with the installed dyna advance unit for easy reference.
        Or some photos, show up the step by step of installing the pick-up coils plate and the advance unit.
        addy

Comment

Dyna does not make an advance unit. The Dyna III uses the stock Suzuki mechanical advance. Most Suzuki bikes from 1980 and older had mechanical advance units. 1981 and newer had electronic advance. If your bike is 1981 or newer, you will need to retrofit an early model mechanical advance to it to be able to use the Dyna III.

Earl

Originally posted by Addy Leung
          Yes, it is also looking for one of this Dyna III.
          But really hope to see a photo with the installed dyna advance unit for easy reference.
          Or some photos, show up the step by step of installing the pick-up coils plate and the advance unit.
          addy

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            Dyna does not make an advance unit. The Dyna III uses the stock Suzuki mechanical advance. Most Suzuki bikes from 1980 and older had mechanical advance units. 1981 and newer had electronic advance. If your bike is 1981 or newer, you will need to retrofit an early model mechanical advance to it to be able to use the Dyna III.

Earl
            Beg to differ Earl, the 82 1100 E still has the mechanical advance, all you need to install are the pickups, amplifier, and trigger...I had to file the OD of the pickup plate to get it to seat flush in the cutout

Comment

Holy smoke- it's not everyday I can prove Earl wrong, so I have to chime in! My 81 1100E also has a mechanical advance unit. Haven't ripped into the 83 yet.

Beg to differ Earl, the 82 1100 E still has the mechanical advance
              This opportunity may never present itself again...
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

LMAO :-) The more I think about it, I guess it was in 83 suzuki added an electronic advance. Not sure if they did for all models though. I know my 81 750 did not have a mechanical advance.
                Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
                Holy smoke- it's not everyday I can prove Earl wrong, so I have to chime in! My 81 1100E also has a mechanical advance unit. Haven't ripped into the 83 yet.

Beg to differ Earl, the 82 1100 E still has the mechanical advance
                This opportunity may never present itself again...

Comment

82 gs450 still has mechanical advance

I just wanted to add that my 1982 450 definitely has the mechanical advancer, so it looks like the mechanical/electronic split may have been in 82/83. But, keep your eyes open, because who knows whether they decided to upgrade all models simultaneously.

You can guess why I know....my igniter died. Looking for a replacement to avoid paying for a new Dyna S. We'll see.....

Comment

Along these same lines, would the mechanical advance from say a 79 GS750 work on the 83 gs1100gk? If not which ones would? I have also aquired a Dyna III that I'm going to install in the next week. So I would like to know if the advance that I have is going to work or do I need to find another one.

Comment

My 81GS750 that I parted DID have a mechanical advance!!! YOU will most likley have to remark the timing marks, so it is mandatory to check TDC against the reference marks on the advance mech .The points style advance unit is the best bet as it is shorter (and may clear the cover?) than the advance from an electronic ign. That is what the funny looking spacer is for in the dyna kit. If the cover doesn't clear you will have to make a spacer. On the later models GK etc Someone said it is necessary to make sure the adv unit fits correctly on the crank, file to fit if necessary

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I've only set up one Dyna III and the proceedure was the same as it is for the Dyna "S". I didnt find anything different or unusual to watch out for.

Earl
                        Hi earl, I am having trouble with my 82 gkz. If I plug the "black box" in then the white wire from the coil looses power, the other side of the coil will light up my test light just fine. I have tried a couple of boxes but they just do the same thing ie not fire on 1 and 4. Is a dyna the only answer and will a dyna s series work. Signed frustrated. GTMike

Comment

Get a Dyna S.
                          This thread is over five years old.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X