Rear brakes binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brakes binding

I went for a ride on my 1980 GS 850GL to get some errands done this afternoon. Soon after pulling out of my driveway I tested my brakes at about 30mph and found that the rear brakes would slow the bike properly but would only release if I pulled up on the rear brake lever. I worked the lever back and forth several times and it was stiff and didn't loosen up. After returning home I took the rear brake pedal off the bike and released the connection to the master cylinder and the rear brake light switch. This pedal axel was so stiff I had to pound it out of the bike frame with a 3/8" socket extension and a hammer. The pedal axel was unlubricated and covered with fine rust as was the pivot cylinder of the frame. I used my wire brush and solvent to clean both parts, and then they easily slid together. I put it back together using waterproof grease and it now works smoothly and releases fully.

It would seem that this pivot point needs regular cleaning and lubrication, but I haven't seen this mentioned in my manual. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

thanks for the tip... mine has been hanging up recently as well.....

I'll have to check mine out...

Comment

Yep, had perrty much same experience. . . .
      I test rode a bike a friend was looking at. I operated the brakes fairly hard as a test while comming to a stop. Then when trying to take off I was stalling out the engine, and I couldnt paddle-walk the bike, I couldnt move it. If I really reved it, I could move it, but obviously something wrong, and came to abrupt stop, no coasting. I was thinking that the brake calipers bound up, and how was I going to get this thing back (and in not so nice a neighborhood either) but then noticed the rear pedal was stuck down, had to reach down and pull it up, even that took some effort.
      My buddy did buy it, this brake problem was a good bargining point. We had to work lube into the piviot point, ecercize it a lot, I mean a lot, probably would have been quicker to dissasemble it like you did.
      All this sounds just perrty much like you were saying.
      In the case I mentioned, the bike is an 83 Old Wing that was stored in a musty damp dirt floor shed-garage.

Sounds like a good posting for the "tips" forum.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Re: Rear brakes binding

Originally posted by knelson
        I went for a ride on my 1980 GS 850GL to get some errands done this afternoon. Soon after pulling out of my driveway I tested my brakes at about 30mph and found that the rear brakes would slow the bike properly but would only release if I pulled up on the rear brake lever. I worked the lever back and forth several times and it was stiff and didn't loosen up. After returning home I took the rear brake pedal off the bike and released the connection to the master cylinder and the rear brake light switch. This pedal axel was so stiff I had to pound it out of the bike frame with a 3/8" socket extension and a hammer. The pedal axel was unlubricated and covered with fine rust as was the pivot cylinder of the frame. I used my wire brush and solvent to clean both parts, and then they easily slid together. I put it back together using waterproof grease and it now works smoothly and releases fully.

It would seem that this pivot point needs regular cleaning and lubrication, but I haven't seen this mentioned in my manual. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

yes i have had the same problem. the same thing happens with the center stand. every spring, and fall, i remove both and relube.

Comment

Rear Brake Sticking

So, this thread explains my symptoms and my solution very clearly, the problem I am having is getting that rod out. I think its physically attached to the rocker plate on the "inside" of the bike so I am pretty sure this thing can only come out one way, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. (yes I have detached the master cylinder, brake light wire and break return spring) I bought this '82 650G in April, had the tires replaced a couple of weeks ago, and now i ran into this problem.

Any suggestions on trying to get this thing out? I've used some PB Blaster on it and tried taking a few good whacks at it with a wooden block and hammer. I have a propane torch, I was thinking about heating up the socket around the rod to maybe get things flowing a bit, but other than that, I am out of ideas. Anyone have any other ideas? Is there a way to inject some lubricant in there to help this out. Getting the pedal off took a good 20 minutes of prying and pulling, so I know this needs to get cleaned up.

I saw another post where someone said they couldn't get it out and ended up scrapping the frame with the rod still in it, everything else on the bike works fine so this is NOT an option, PLEASE HELP!!

Comment

Just use the PB, Push it back in & move the pedel up & down. Then push it out again Keep working it and it will come out

Comment

Re: rear break binding

Had the same problem. With suggestions from the forum I removed the brake pedal (with some difficulty) and eventually was able to also remove the pivot. Used spray lubricant and quite a bit of hammering but the pivot finally came clear of the housing. As suspected, the pivot and housing were slightly corroded. Buffed the pivot with a wire brush, cleaned the inside of the housing, lubricated and reassembled. Everything works fine. Fairly easy fix. It did take quite a bit of lubricant and a number of hard hits to break the pivot loose.

Work at it. It should eventually break loose.
              jbharley3

Comment

pressure washers are bad news!! so is sitting out side always.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                X