Question about lubing headstock bearings...weird prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about lubing headstock bearings...weird prob

Ok I was riding along jsut fine when my steering started to stick. No fun, when you need to trun! So as a temporary fix(I'm at work) I bought a can of WD-40 type lube/penetrating oil. I sprayed it in the joint between the head stock and the frame and presto! No more stiff handle bars, I only worked it in for about 30 seconds and the handle bars you can pussh with one finger while seated on the centre stand. Bearings seem tight, no play in the forks or anything. It just looks like it froze up a bit from 80,000 Kms of dirt. Ok so that's the good news, the bad news is this "Ho Chi Mihn" brand of an east German copy of WD-40 is not the best lubricant to treat your steering bearings. Is there any other Lubricants that will be easier on the bearings without having to take the whole thing apart untill next year? Would Maxima chain wax work well? It seems to spray in there pretty well and it is designed for high spinning rpms, as well as its sticky so it should last in there. Any suggestions? I do have some very high quality Gun oil for my guns that may do the trick. I need basically:

1. Something I can spray and penetrate so I don't have to take the damn thing apart.

2. Something that is runny enough to get in there but sticky enough to stay there and lube. Chain Wax ok?

I'm assuming this "wd-40" like oil is kerosene based, but I might be wrong it's a little thicker than wd-40.

bearings

Looking for magic are we??? its not that big of a deal to do the bearings 1 evening should handle it, and its done right

Comment

Yeah I know it needs to be done right but I use the bike to get to work everyday. It's freed up really well now I just don't have time until winter. I just would like a better "fix" untill I can take it apart. I have a full fairing 84' GS750EF. Believe me, changing the spark plugs is a big deal with all that plastic.

Comment

After taking a look again and a little more spray, lots of dirt just shot out from under the skirt. Now the action of the bars is extremly smooth. I'm hoping it was just a bunch of dirt causing the problem. Anyway I'll probably replace them in the winter anyway, what the hell. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

bearings

AAAhhhhaaa, full fairing makes a big defference, I had a vetter on mine took it off asap and put a windscreen on it,

Comment

Sooo...

Do you have plans for that Vetter that you aren't using?

Comment

My bike has a grease nipple on the steering housing. Don't all bikes? I don't think any spray product is going to give you the protection you want with the penetration. Liquid wrench, wd 40, spray silicone, etc, won't last for very long. Spray lithium grease probably won't penetrate. You could try chain lube. But unless you get some high quality grease on those bearings your problem is going to reoccur.

Comment

Chain lube would be the longest lasting temporary fix. Steering bearings rotate slowly, so great gobs of grease are not needed. I would probably "blow" a full can of WD40 through to wash out the grit and gunk, then with the little tube that comes with the chain lube, spray a good bit of chain lube in there to grease it up. You may have to repeat the process, but it should get you through until you have an opportunity to do it right. Its a pretty easy task.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Is there any other Lubricants that will be easier on the bearings without having to take the whole thing apart untill next year?
                  I use Kal-Gard 30/30 for a lot of things like door locks, hinges, etc. It is a thin spray that penetrates pretty well and the lubricant is wax based, so it does not attract dirt when dry. I don't know if it is still available or not, my can must be 15 years old and still going strong... There is a teflon based lube called Tri-Flon or Tri-Flow (the name changed a few years back) that works really well and would probably be a great choice if you can find it.

My bike has a grease nipple on the steering housing. Don't all bikes?
                  Nope. I have never seen one come with a grease zerk from the factory. Some caring owner has likely done that in the past on yours. Anyone who tears down the front end should always take the time to drill and tap the headstock for a zerk to allow a bit of preventative maintenance and longer bearing life.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X