Clean Gasoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean Gasoline

There are a number of posts in this forum about which octane is best for your GS, but I'm not looking for performance. Here in Canadia, at the PetroCan gas stations, there is a super-duper ultra premium (I forget the exact name) gas which is high-octane but also has lots of detergents, addidtives, etc. My bike was sitting for 2-3 months (thank YOU, stator !%$@$@!!) and was running rough once I started. Filled up a full tank of super-clean and now she's running fine, and back on regular.

Does it really work, or do I just think it works (equally important!)?

I wonder if you had water in your gas, and by adding a full tank of the other stuff you diluted it enough to run well. I've never put much stock in the detergents in gas, but they probably do something, though I would think it would be an effect over time.

Comment

The thing about detergents is that the gas company puts them in their fuel to keep their pipes clean and all their tanks clean and their pumps and hoses clean too. So, how effective is it by the time it gets to your bike??
      I'm sure there is some cleaning power, but I don't know if it is as strong as adding carb cleaner to your gas.

Also, I have heard that diesel fuel is just as effective as carb cleaner or fuel injection cleaner. I think you would only want to add 500 mL of diesel fuel to a full tank of gas.

Comment

Probably only condensation...little water/gum in the carb bowls, not enough to clog a jet. Maybe the detergent helped break it free. One of the 'Mysteries of the Universe'...join us next week for 'Automatic Rough' or 'Why Your Single Engine Aircraft Seems To Run Poorly Over Bodies of Water'...

Comment

The fresh gas probably accounts for the improvement. The US Consumer Protection Agency busted the gas companies a few years back for claiming their premium grades contained more detergents. In fact, while there were more detergents in the premium grades, the difference was fractional, and was done entirely for marketing reasons. The Government's research concluded that the amount of detergent in 87 Octane gas was sufficient. This was the same regulatory action that forced the gas companies (in the US) to stop promoting expensive premium grades with half-truths. "No gasoline gives higher performance than our super premium" does not mean that super premium provides better performance than regular gas!!! Stated differently, while no gas gives better performance, regular gas gives the SAME performance as premium in cars designed for regular gas (90% of the fleet on the road). Listen to advertising with a critical ear!

Comment

Originally posted by gammer
            The thing about detergents is that the gas company puts them in their fuel to keep their pipes clean and all their tanks clean and their pumps and hoses clean too.
            And once the detergent in the gas does its work on the gas station's equipment, they are nice enough to deposit that sludge into your tank for you to run through your bike at no extra charge, beyond what you paid for premium. Better have a good inline filter.
            I suspect it was new gas that did the trick. Value brand regular would have done the trick.
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by gammer
              Also, I have heard that diesel fuel is just as effective as carb cleaner or fuel injection cleaner. I think you would only want to add 500 mL of diesel fuel to a full tank of gas.
              The thing with diesel, though, is that with a full size automobile (using my toyota camry as an example here) you would only want roughly half to one full US qt in a 16 gallon tank (946mL in a quart) so, you'd end up with one quarter of a gallon in your tank. in a bike, it'd be much, much less than that

also, in the states, the fuel at the pump is oxygenated using ethanol, which requires extra detergents to help keep the motor clean, as the oxygenation would have little to no effect on a completely filthy intake/fuel tract.. so it's a necessity for them to have it as an additive package, just to keep within EPA limits and regulations regarding air pollution as whole in the USA. (even if the amount of detergent present is absolutely negligible)

one thign i've found to be of lots of importance when selecting fuel grades at higher altitudes (i live at ~6000 ft above sea level) teh effect of higher octane levels at this altitude is minimal, mostly because of the drastic decreases in air density.. all it usually will do in most motors is cause heavier fuel consumption than normal. in engines that are designed for 89+ octane premium fuels with computerized engine controls, the high octane fuel is necessary as an anti-ping sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
              X