R/R swap??...1980/1981 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R swap??...1980/1981 GS550L

Ok, it's time to change the R/R out. I know the R/R for the 1980 GS550L has different connectors than the one for the 1981 version. However, if I spliced my own connectors on there, would the 1981 work on the 1980 bike? Meaning, are the connectors the only difference between them? The mounting and outside casing look the same, but it's the inside electrical circuits that matter.

Any input would be really helpful. Thanks!

--Tyler

Re: R/R swap??...1980/1981 GS550L

You would be fine making that swap as long as youve identified the 3 AC input wires, the DC positive output and DC negative output. Some also have a 6th wire which is a DC ground.

Earl

Originally posted by OneStaple
    Ok, it's time to change the R/R out. I know the R/R for the 1980 GS550L has different connectors than the one for the 1981 version. However, if I spliced my own connectors on there, would the 1981 work on the 1980 bike? Meaning, are the connectors the only difference between them? The mounting and outside casing look the same, but it's the inside electrical circuits that matter.

Any input would be really helpful. Thanks!

--Tyler
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the R/R for both of these years only have five wires, including a ground cable. I'm pretty sure they each have the 3 AC input wires and a positive DC output, but don't see anything for a negative DC output.

--Tyler

Comment

Ok, I'm not thinking right. It's between a 1983 and 1980 GS550L. Grrr...sorry about that.

--Tyler

Comment

Working...
        X