Motor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Oil

This is probably the wrong forum for this but what is everyone running for oil in there bike. I am tempted to use Mobile1 in mine. I have been running it in my cars for years and I am very impressed. I read one post about someone using amsoil, that is also a synthetic. If anyone is running this have you noticed any differeneces or had any problems using sythetics in your bike? :?

Alot of what you hear bad about synthetics are myths!! Its mainly just the old people not accepting something new and better! sorry old people

I have used Mobil one in everything with a motor and have noticed better running more efficient machines. I have used pretty much every oil and I will have to say Mobil 1 is simple the best.

Go to mobil 1 click on the why synthetics tab it will clear up some Q's

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
      Alot of what you hear bad about synthetics are myths!! Its mainly just the old people not accepting something new and better! sorry old people

I have used Mobil one in everything with a motor and have noticed better running more efficient machines. I have used pretty much every oil and I will have to say Mobil 1 is simple the best.

Go to mobil 1 click on the why synthetics tab it will clear up some Q's

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp
      this old goat uses castrol syntek 5-50

Comment

Slowpoke is feeling younger every day thanks to synthetic
        It doesn't clog your pores either! Leaving your skin clean and smooth
        Wake up with that synthetic feeling

Comment

mmmmmm and it tastes good to

Comment

Oh yeah by the way Mobil 1 does make synthetic oil specially for motorcycles.

They even make one that is perfect for gs motorcycles
            10W-40 air cooled formulated oil

Its called MX4T. Only deal is that its pretty high dollars stuff. I just bought about 3 qts. Tax and all it was about 25 bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
              Oh yeah by the way Mobil 1 does make synthetic oil specially for motorcycles.

They even make one that is perfect for gs motorcycles
              10W-40 air cooled formulated oil

Its called MX4T. Only deal is that its pretty high dollars stuff. I just bought about 3 qts. Tax and all it was about 25 bucks!
              I had mobile 1 in my bike for a couple of thousand miles and it sold me on synthetic oil--cooler running engine for one thing--I am using syntek only because i wanted a lower starting viscosity hoping that it would citculate the oil into the upper reigons a bit quicker. I have no preference and still am not sold on motorcycle specific oil--I only believe we should avoid oils which contain certain anti friction products. and im not sure of that yet

Comment

Has anyone tried Rotella T Synthetic? I've used the Rotella dino oil for a while in my truck (better mileage than with Mobil1) and when I run out of this drum i'll be getting a synthetic bucket to try out.

The guy I bought my bike from said not to use synthetic in the bike because it made the tranny shift wierd. Too much slip + wet clutch system = bad things?

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Originally posted by Whittey
                  Has anyone tried Rotella T Synthetic? I've used the Rotella dino oil for a while in my truck (better mileage than with Mobil1) and when I run out of this drum i'll be getting a synthetic bucket to try out.

The guy I bought my bike from said not to use synthetic in the bike because it made the tranny shift wierd. Too much slip + wet clutch system = bad things?

-=Whittey=-
                  With SOME not ALL you will get that slipping. I use Quaker State 5-50 High Prerformance and get a nice smooth clutch.

Comment

I am currently running honda synthetic blend in my gs and regular dino honda oil in my kawasaki.
                    hhhmmm I do have a 55 gallon drum of mobil 1 syn 5w40 in the back of my company service truck (can you say expensive?)

Comment

I've got castrol 5-50 in my 850...I imagined it was causing some clutch slipping at first...but, I haven't noticed any clutch slipping for a coupla' months and I like to run away from the stop lights as quick as I can...a good argument for a relatively slow bike.

Comment

I use whatever name brand 10-40 is the cheapest. Most of the time they are the same price, though sometimes all you can find is that stupid 5-30 with "friction modifiers" in it. Castrol GTX 10-40 is what resides in the crankcase of my bike as of now. 8)
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                          I use whatever name brand 10-40 is the cheapest. Most of the time they are the same price, though sometimes all you can find is that stupid 5-30 with "friction modifiers" in it. Castrol GTX 10-40 is what resides in the crankcase of my bike as of now. 8)
                          SO YOU HAVE USE OIL WITH FRICTION MODIFIERS EH. In your opinion is there any truth to the slipping clutch business??

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
                            Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                            SO YOU HAVE USE OIL WITH FRICTION MODIFIERS EH. In your opinion is there any truth to the slipping clutch business??
                            Heavens no! 8O What I meant to say is that sometimes the selection is pretty lame what with the empty shelves that held 10-40 and shelves full of 5-30. I always manage to find a name brand 10-40 without friction modifiers. 8)
                            Kevin
                            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I found these two things on another site. Very interesting reading. Very clear and easy to understand.

And

Have fun learning.

Roman

Comment

Working...
                              X