Motor Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filters

Good reference sites! I've seen them before, and also the info mentioned in the filter article about the quality of Fram filters. That presents an interesting dilemma of sorts. Several years ago Consumers Reports did a test of automotive oil filters, and Fram clearly provided the best filtration across the applications tested. Ever since that time, I've used mostly Fram oil filters in my pickup and (3) cars, with no evidence of any oil or filter related problems. CR hasn't done any more recent testing, and the recent articles that I've seen about motorcycle filters don't address performance; they disassembled filters and visually assessed "build quality." It may not be a real issue for me, though, as I haven't found a convenient source of Fram oil filters to fit my GS750 yet. I bought a Suzuki filter from the dealer when I bought the bike; bought a filter from J.C. Whitney (EMCO); and discovered that my local NAPA store can get their brand filters for me on a day's notice.

Comment

I have been getting fram for my 1983 GS1100e from my local discount auto part store for about $5 and it comes with the squiggly rubber gasket also. Part #CH6000. They have a line of motorcycle filters in stock all the time. When fram is on sale for $2.50 the motorcycle filters are not on sale though.

Comment

Someone asked???
        Any way, Discount auto parts is a chain of auto part stores. They are all over Florida but I dont know if they are all over the country. Look for the fram part number in K mart or someplace and ill bet you save lots of loot. If the local discount house does not stock Fram then cross the part number over. I think if you are not cheap with your oil and filter changes,it doesnt make too much diference what you use even if i am partial to fram. The thing that ticked me about the EMGO filters was that there was no gasket with them

Comment

I found the correct Fram oil filter for my 79 GS750 on the shelf at the local Walmart. It seems to be a normally stocked item.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

hi milage motor oil

Has any one tried the "specially formulated for high milage engines" motor oil? Just wondering if it does the job, or if it's good or bad for bikes.

Comment

Working...
            X