Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose Swingarm

Hi,

I recently put my bike up on the centrestand, and noticed that the swingarm moves freely , from left to right, with around an inch of freeplay on either side. I had thought that my back tire was slipping because I had spilled oil on it, but since then I had ridden 3000km and still did it....so it sorta boggled me.

It started aftert my mechanic changed my backtire. I'm wondering whether I just have to tighten the big hex-bolts on either side of the frame (under the plastic side covers), or somet hing else is needed.

I dont believe any parts are missing, because I watched him to the work (he was stressed out after, b/c of....long story......still his damn fault tho!)

As of now, I'm going to see what tightening the Hex bolts does, or adjust the bolt inside of the big hex-bolt. hopefully it fixes things, because when i take off with any speed at all, it feels like im riding on an oil slick!!

thanks,

poot

That's scary, there should be NO side-to-side play.... not sure what model you have, mine uses roller bearings, your's may have bushings, whichever it has, STOP riding it now, disassemble and repair it!!! Please! It's very dangerous.

Comment

Looks like your roller bearings have died!As Daveo says don't ride it till you get it fixed.The 550 has both roller bearings AND bushes,replace them both,and fit a grease nipple while you're at it.Saves stripping the swingarm out when you need to regrease the bearings.

Comment

Ditto Daveo's warning: DO NOT RIDE UNTIL PROB FIXED!

I'm not sure about swing-arm bearings for shaftdrive bikes but my 81 GS750EX has needle bearings and are fairly easy to replace. The only specialty tool I needed was a DREMEL tool with a fine, small diameter grinding stone to grind out the outer races which were seized to the bore in the swing-arm. The bearings were avialbale from the dealer for about $16 Cdn.

Comment

are you guys sure that its not just a matter of tightening something? It was fine before I got my new back tire on, but I did about 9000+km since then..... only really noticed it after i got back from my trip.

I will check tonight whether something just needs to be tightened, and if not, how would I go about putting in a grease nipple?

thanks,

poot

Comment

Have you checked to make sure the AXEL bolt is tight

Comment

Sounds like you need a manual!

The GS850 has bearings pressed into the swingarm, with short pivot shafts on either side. The big nut is simply a locking nut, and there's a hex hole in the center of the shaft to adjust the pivot shafts in and out.

It would be VERY unusual for these bearings to get that bad that quickly.

I would immediately supect that a brainless mechanic messed with these bearings, maybe in some misguided attempt to remove the rear wheel. Who knows.

Are you sure it's the swingarm that's moving, and not the rear wheel? A mechanic that dense might have left out the spacer, which would rapidly destroy the rear wheel bearings.

In any case, you'll want to either learn to do things yourself or find a competent mechanic. And most importantly, DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE UNTIL THIS IS FIXED CORRECTLY!

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Keep in mind that the pivot shafts should only be finger-tight - just enough to get rid of any side play. They should also be adjusted so that the swingarm is centered in the frame.

If a blundering "perfeshunal" mechanic has applied more torque than that, the bearings are toast.

You have to hold the pivot shafts in place with an allen wrench while tightening the large lock nuts with a wrench. If you use a socket, there's an excellent chance that the pivot shaft will also rotate and then over-torque the bearings.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

are you guys sure that its not just a matter of tightening something?
                  It can't be simply something loose. Normally, the allowable side play on your swing arm is measured in thousandths of an inch. As in 0.002"-0.003" maximum! You are measuring yours with a tape measure. 8O When you tighten everything up, there is a tiny bit of flex in the frame at the swingarm pivot, but it is only 0.010" at most. What you are describing has to be from a missing spacer or bearing, nothing else will cause that much free play. You do need to get a manual and tear down the rear axle assembly and then the swing arm pivot area to make sure it gets back to the correct arrangement.

And yes, the multitude of voices are correct - DO NOT ride it until you have found the problem and fixed it. You are flirting with either the mother of all tankslappers/weaves or a serious mechanical failure that could put you on your head. I know you would rather ride it, but it that worth dieing for?

Mark

Comment

Yes, I dont think it is the bearings, based on the fact that I only noticed a difference immediately after the back tire was changed.

I am going to see what happens when I tighten/loosen the inner hexbolts.

I dont believe that it is the back tire, as it seems to be tightly fastened, but I will have to check for the missing spacer(s).

You can hear a something hitting , when you move it fully left or right.

thanks again

Comment

i will see, but i cant get at my bike till the morning. regardless though, im gonna have to check my bearings now, since ive ridden so much without the missing part, or a damaged/worn down part.

Comment

alrighty, i took off those big hex-nuts, and discovered that the right side has no tension mostly, so I am also definite that it is that side which is worn out. Regardless, I am going to change both bearings, but when I tightened up the left side, the free play was eliminated, so I can atleast go pick up the parts...

didnt want to take it all apart, because I have no manual, so Im not sure whether id need to take the back wheel assembly off as well. Ill have to check that for the spacer as well, as the swingarm is still closer to the right muffler, than the left.

thanks.

matt

Comment

First thing you need to do is get a manual!!!!! The swing arm has to come off to change the bearings.

Comment

shipping.....1 more day

Comment

Working...
                            X