gs 750 to 1000 engine swap Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 to 1000 engine swap Questions

I have a 78 gs 750 and i am about to acquire a 1000 engine thats been bored out to 1100. I know that I will need to fabricate bottom and rear engine mounts. Does anyone have pictures of some mounts they have made?
    Also will I be able to use the same exhaust system that I have on the 750? What about carbs can i just adjust the jets or do I have to get different carbs also any BTDT? thanks in advance for the info.

What year is the GS1000 motor If it is 78-79 would make things easier.
    you could use your same carbs, exhaust, airbox, ign If it is newer 1980 you will need the newer type BS carbs & need to modify the airbox boots & Swap your points to the 1000 Just make a cardboard templet for a motor mount and cut it out I remember some where hearing they used a door hinge for the mount??? doesn't sound very sturdy

Comment

im not sure what the year is of the motor. i know that it is an eight valve engine. is there any way to easily tell the difference? i have individual air filters on my carbs and I have Dyna s ignition. the ignition should work with the 1000 regradles of year right? also about the exhaust is the spacing different between cylinders then the 750 motor.
      Thanks

Comment

Dyna & Exhaust will work fine. The intake flange/ ports are different sizes between the different years

Comment

well i got the engine today and the number on it is: GS1000-128788
          does anyone know what the engine number means?

Comment

If it's got point ignition it's a '78 or '79, assuming it hasn't been converted with an aftermarket electronic ignition such as Dyna. Suzuki went to electronic ignition as standard in 1980. That number you show is a serial number and by that number I am guessing the engine was produced somewhere around September 1978 making it a '79.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
            https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X