Oil Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Temp Gauge

The needle in the oil temp gauge on my '82 GS1100 does the funky chicken while I'm ridding. The only time I get a decent reading is when I am not moving. Is this fixable, or is a replacement in order?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Is the gauge hard mounted to the bars/wherever? I suspect it is analog. If so the vibrations from the engine, road, etc. are being tranmitted into the gauge when the bike is moving and causing the erratic needle.

Try insulating the gauge with a band of rubber (one or two strips from an inner tube might do it) or some high density foam (like in ear plugs) or polyethelene (packing material). Should isolate the gauge from most of the vibes...

Comment

Originally posted by perkins43
      Is the gauge hard mounted to the bars/wherever? I suspect it is analog. If so the vibrations from the engine, road, etc. are being tranmitted into the gauge when the bike is moving and causing the erratic needle.

Try insulating the gauge with a band of rubber (one or two strips from an inner tube might do it) or some high density foam (like in ear plugs) or polyethelene (packing material). Should isolate the gauge from most of the vibes...
      No, it's a stock gauge in the stock position, which I gather, shouldn't be doing that.
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Kevin, vibration is still the likely cause. Check that the gauge is properly mounted to the instrument cluster. I'm not sure with your 82 but sometimes the manufacturers use speed nuts to hold the accessories and they will work loose, especially after 22 years. Check that the fasterners attaching the cluster to the steeringhead are tight and insulated. There is probably an exploded view in the service manual, certainly the parts fiche that will show the details.

Failing that the gauge could be hooped. A factory original will be pricey so think the buy and sell on this site or E--bay for a replacement. There are lots of analog and digital aftermarket options as well...

Comment

check the terminals on the back of the gauge a loose connection could cause the gauge to act funny, also check the wire that connects to the sending unit to see if it is loose or if the wire has chaffed on something and is shorting out.

all else fails I have one of those gauges right here, and you can have it if you don't find a short some place. PM me if you want it.

Comment

Mine started doing that a few weeks ago but I haven't yet looked into the cause. I, too, was suspecting a loose electrical connection since it's OK at idle but jumps when I blip the throttle. I was planning on starting with the connection at the block since I noticed it was a bit "Jiggly".

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X