Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket

I have completed degreeing in my cams with the aid of this forum.
    While I was at it I also completely rewired the bike with relays etc for every power circuit(lights,ignition etc).
    When I went to put the valve cover on I realised I had lost my spare gasket set in the last house move.
    The local dealer wants $80 for one.(one week delivery)
    I seem to remember reading on this site about a silicon rubber on being available, but cant find it when searching.
    Where is the best place to source these from? I would like to keep my money in the country, but dont like being bent over and shafted to do so.

IAIN

Sorry guys I should have told you what model bike.

1977 GS 750 B

Iain

Comment

alrighty, ill give you my valve cover gasket experience....

I bought a black rubber aftermarket gasket (if thats what your talking about) , and it was *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$tily manufactured, and split apart, leaking oil badly.

ORDER THE STOCK GASKET!~! it is of the correct thickness and you dont need any sealant, as the gasket swells when it comes in contact with oil. Since installing it, ive had no leakage...

mine cost me 90 bucks cdn. , and it was the valve cover gasket, the breather cover gasket, and the 4 half-moon plastic stoppers. you will need to use the black rubber silicon from a tube for those plastic stoppers though.

Comment

Those orange(?) silicone valve cover gaskets were made by Realgaskets.
        About $25 a year ago?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

gasket

You can get a complete gasket set for about $80 and it will come in handy in case you need to do other repairs, it wont have the end plugs but a small amount of sealer will take care of that, I got mine from ebay, and there there all the time. my dealer tried to sell me the oil filter oring for $12.95 got one from bike bandit $2.98 they aiso have what you need bikebandit.com

Comment

If you can't find one local?? I have an extra one $10 + postage

Comment

The Realgasket silicone gaskets are worth getting. They don't break, are reusable and seem to be less prone to leaking. I don't think I'll ever go back to a regular gasket.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
                I would pay $100 for a complete top end gasket set but this was only the
                valve cover gasket.They wanted $55 for the rubber seals and $25 for
                the breather gasket.
                I went back to work, machined up some aluminium end caps and bought myself some beers with the $55 I had saved.

Square Dancer thank you for your offer, but keep it for your self or the next needy person a little bit closer to home.

I will look on E BAY and Bike bandit, even at only 70 cents to the dollar, I
                still will be better off. Thanks again.
                Iain

Comment

You can reach them at www.realgaskets.com; got one for my engine & love it

Comment

Working...
                  X