When converting to push pull cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When converting to push pull cable...

When you remove the stock throttle when switching to a push pull cable do you lose the functionality of the Run/Stop and Start switches?

I was told that you do and to use the throttle assembly from an older Suzuki model that came stock with the push pull. (not sure of the model)

Does anybody have some experience with this?

Thanks
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

All of the GS bikes with the slide type carbs used push/pull cables

Comment

Re: When converting to push pull cable...

Originally posted by pano
      When you remove the stock throttle when switching to a push pull cable do you lose the functionality of the Run/Stop and Start switches?

I was told that you do and to use the throttle assembly from an older Suzuki model that came stock with the push pull. (not sure of the model)

Thanks
      Question: Why would you want to change to a push pull throttle? It's just more crap to deal with. Gas the stupid push cable. The throttle spring is more than sufficient to close the throttle. I've been running the pull throttle only on my GS750 for 14 years with no problems. 8)
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

It sounds like you are going to smoothbore carbs...what I did was get a push-pull throttle assembly from Motion Pro, removed the stock throttle sleeve, slid the switch assembly over a little, and mounted the Motion Pro throttle. All the switches still work.

Hap

Comment

Thanks everybody. I am planning my engine mods now for a rebuild next winter. It gives me a year to start accumulating parts. I expect to go to new carbs that will need the push/pull cable.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
            It sounds like you are going to smoothbore carbs...what I did was get a push-pull throttle assembly from Motion Pro, removed the stock throttle sleeve, slid the switch assembly over a little, and mounted the Motion Pro throttle. All the switches still work.
            I've just had a Mikuni RS 34mm installed on my 1983 GS750E and that thing really begs for a push-pull throttle. What are my options for one that would work? If it helps any, I've got a throttle grip from a Yamaha R1 similar this one below:

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

If there's a cable set that would work with it, that'd be great. (The stock R1 cables don't work. The sleeves are a bit too short and the wires are much too long.)

Or, if a right-hand control take off from a newer GSXR that would work as a whole unit (i.e., cables and switches), that'd do just as well.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post

Thanks
              Pano my 77 750 killswitch was set up for a pushpull cable set up. I dont run the push pull, and have switched to a single cable switch from an 80 750(the PO gutted the original) Try starting with a GS model from the pre CV era maybe??

Comment

?

GS1000S 79 or 80 throttle assembles

Comment

Why do they call it Push-Pull? As near as I can tell there is nothing in the system that pushes.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Push your fist forward to close, Pull to open. This baisicly just states that operator input controls both motions. (Your thinking is correct in that both cables actualy pull.) These are found on most bikes with factory mechanical slide carbs.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to look for pre-CV throttle assemblies.

In case I can't find one around here, what are my other options? Would one from a newer (i.e., late 80's, early 90's) GSX work? Or, if I've to buy a new one from Motion Pro, which one is it? Will I need to order a custom set?

Thanks again.

Comment

APE also makes one.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          APE also makes one.
                          Thanks. I just bought a used right hand control and throttle assembly off of a 1978 GS750 on eBay. It's got the necessary hole for the push cable. Hopefully, the switches will be compatible with mine. If not, a minor surgery will be required.

Comment

Dunno about the 83 750..but i just put a 80 750 killswitch/throttle asmbly on my 77..completely backwards compatable wiring wise...

Comment

Dunno about the 83 750..but i just put a 80 750 killswitch/throttle asmbly on my 77..completely backwards compatable wiring wise...

Comment

Working...
                              X