Timing Chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Chain question

I have a 83 GS550Es and I was wondering what is the spring loaded dial for behind the engine in the center. Someone told me it was the timing chain tightener, what is this for and should I adjust it
    Also I am geting a ticking noise from the left side of the motor when I get on the gas it sounds like a valve tap. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas
    Thanks
    Eric

Yep, thats a chain tensioner, more specifically the cam chain tensioner.
    I can tell you what is for (and not so much how to set it). It is to press against a rail that presses against the chain that goes from the cranksaft up to and over the cam shafts (exhaust and intake vavle cam shafts), it pushes on the chain to keep it from slapping around (and chain slides along on that rail). If the tensioner is set way wrong or is stuck, then the chain will slap around and make real bad engine sounds enough to alert you to the problem, acatully make you think something is about to or already has come apart.
    Since you didnt state any such engine noises (it would be lot more than 'ticking'), I dont suspect there is a problem.

Perhaps others will suggest an easy way to check the setting without going all thru the setup, have seen such posting in the past.

WHen I replaced the head gasket, I set tensioner step by step by following steps in Clymers manaul (without really understanding it).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Re: Timing Chain question

That housing with the spring loaded knurled knob is the automatic cam chain tensioner. It is not adjustable. The only outcome of trying to adjust it is that you will render it inoperative. To check and re-set it to re-engage and operate normally. You must.......................

Loosen the jamb nut on the left side. Turn in the slotted screw in the middle of the jamb nut until it contacts the internal plunger shaft and stops.
      cinch it down lightly to hold the internal shaft. Hold the slotted screw in that position and turn down the jamb nut. Remove the 2 (sometimes 3) bolts that hold the cam chain housing to the rear of the cylinderhead.
      Remove the complete assembly. Loosen the jamb nut, then the slotted shaft you tightened. The spring loaded plunger will slide out. Inspect the plunger shaft and spring for nicks or damage. Clean as needed. Insert spring/plunger assembly back into tensioner body. Press plunger into tensioner body with you thumb. The tensioner will only go halfway down.
      Turn the large knurled knob on the right side of the tensioner counterclockwise. This will allow the plunger to fully recess. Let go of the knurled knob while holding down the plunger in the fully recessed position with your thumb. Ease off pressure with your thumb. You should see the knurled wheel turn and the spring underneath the knurled wheel rewind itself. If it does, then the auto function is working properly. Press on the plunger and turn the spring loaded wheel again so as to be able to press the plunger fully into the housing. Hold the plunger fully depressed. Turn the slotted screw down until it contacts the plunger shaft and locks the plunger in the recessed position. Remount the cam chain tensioner body to the cylinder head. Turn the slotted screw 1 turn out. This will release the plunger to make contact with the cam chain and provide tension. Tighten the jamb nut while holding a screwdriver in the slotted screw.
      The slotted screw must not be turned as the jamb nut is tightened.
      NEVER turn the knurled knob on the right side of the cam chain tensioner.
      The tensioner is NOT re-settable when installed in the bike and it will not resume automatic operation if you turn that knob while it IS installed.

Earl

Originally posted by reem98
      I have a 83 GS550Es and I was wondering what is the spring loaded dial for behind the engine in the center. Someone told me it was the timing chain tightener, what is this for and should I adjust it
      Also I am geting a ticking noise from the left side of the motor when I get on the gas it sounds like a valve tap. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas
      Thanks
      Eric
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

so if my buddy turned the knob towards the back of the bike as to loosen then he might have messed it up

Comment

Earl, guess what I gotta do this week!

That was the most clear explanation of why you don't fool around with the 'big knurled nut' yet. And an excellent description of how to reset the tensioner...which should take care of a bit of a rattle... .

In my defense I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm not the only one, too!

Comment

Yep, he SCREWED it up! I sometimes wonder where the logic is in ...........
            if you dont know what it is or how it works, its reasonable to assume to know how to adjust or fix it? :-)

Earl

so if my buddy turned the knob towards the back of the bike as to loosen then he might have messed it up

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Heh heh, I guess the moral to this story is, never twist your nuts, you wont like the result. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jimcor
              Earl, guess what I gotta do this week!

That was the most clear explanation of why you don't fool around with the 'big knurled nut' yet. And an excellent description of how to reset the tensioner...which should take care of a bit of a rattle... .

In my defense I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm not the only one, too!

Comment

thanks earl!

I didnt screw around with it, because I knew that it would screw it up, but atleast I know how to clean it , and see if its working!....sometimes that thing can really rattle (worsens as temp goes down.)

excellent instruction!

Comment

I am guessing that if it rattles, the plunger is not following the camchain precisely to keep tension equal. Probably just need to remove the plunger, clean it up, check for/remove rough spots on the rod and oil it well before reinstalling.

Earl

Originally posted by Poot
                  thanks earl!

I didnt screw around with it, because I knew that it would screw it up, but atleast I know how to clean it , and see if its working!....sometimes that thing can really rattle (worsens as temp goes down.)

excellent instruction!

Comment

Can the timing chain tensioner be reset from the outside of the motor or am I gona have to get in the motor to reset it
                    I'm gona have to kick my buddy for touching that
                    that would explain that new noise

Comment

My cam chain tensioner rebuild, with more info and lotsa pictures:

Yours may look different, but the principles are the same.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                        My cam chain tensioner rebuild, with more info and lotsa pictures:

Yours may look different, but the principles are the same.
                        Nice descriptive site, Brian!

Now I think the last time I fooled with the tensioner I was able to get to it without removing the carbs with a combination of extensions and u-joints. Hmmm, hope so anyway.

Comment

Can the timing chain tensioner be reset from the outside of the motor or am I gona have to get in the motor to reset it
                          I'm gona have to kick my buddy for touching that
                          that would explain that new noise
                          No reem, as Earl explained the tensioner cannot be reset except by removing and basically 'recocking it'. At least you have a buddy to kick...where's the damn cat. (just kiddin' I don't have a cat )

Comment

Is it possible to clean the rod, without thaking the carbs off?

Comment

Yes, it is possible to remove the tensioner, clean/reset it and reinstall.. I have done that on my 750. It is NOT easy though. It may not be possible on all GS models.

Earl

Originally posted by Poot
                              Is it possible to clean the rod, without thaking the carbs off?

Comment

Working...
                              X