I thought I fixed it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I fixed it!

79gs425e I bought the bike and it ran POORLY but it did run. Wouldn't get over about 3000 rpm, poured gas out the overflow on the right hand carb in both prime and on.
    Discovered previous owner removed the o-rings in the intake tubes (I wonder why he couldn't make it run); replaced them thinking to solve one problem easily. Also adjusted float to solve the leaking fuel problem.

Now the thing won't start without a small shot of starting fluid, idles at 1000-1100 rpm once it starts and won't rev past 2000. To get to 2000 you have to very slowly turn the throttle or it won't even rev that much. Once started it will idle along just fine, and no fuel leaks out now.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong? I figure I adjusted the float too much but I thought this was a drastic change for that. It's not cold here (almost 90 in Houston today) so I don't see why I should even need the starting fluid.

whats wrong

Where the carbs clean inside??? Are you trying to run it with out the stock airbox and all the pieces installed??? It wont work with out it

Comment

Carb appeared clean to me. I only took the bowl off the leaking carb so I don't know abut the other one. The kid that I bought it from said that he cleaned them both when he was cleaning it up to sell. I have the stock air box, filter and all on. I failed to mention that I also changed oil and filter at the same time, but I didn't think that would have any bad effects.

Comment

sounds like you need to clean those carbs... they can become gummed up very quickly....

Comment

Did the P.O. muck about with the mixture screws to compensate for the lack of intake o-rings and flooding carb? Make sure that they're close to the stock settings before you go looking too far. It should run reasonably well at that point and you can fine tune it from there. If it still doesn't run well then it's carb cleaning time.

-Morgan

Comment

I haven't checked the mixture screws yet. My manual hasn't come in yet to know what the stock setting is. A good cleaning wouldn't hurt them at all though.
            I plan on doing a comlete rebuild early next year but I'd like to at least ride it around the house a bit first to see if I want to change anything while I have it tore down. Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit for the carbs? Even the dealership doesn't offer one and I don't want to have to buy everything piece by piece.

Comment

Around the house?!?!?! 8O are your hallways really long enough for that?

But on the carb rebuilding you can do it without a kit if your careful not to tear the gaskets

Comment

I live on a farm, around the house covers a couple miles. The drive way is a straight quarter mile though hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                X