Tach cable question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach cable question(s)

Howdy again, got another question, this time about the tach cable.

I pulled apart my tachometer, cleaned it out, lubed it up, everything spins freely as it should. I started the engine to check the cable, and it spins; when there's a load (like..the load of the tach gauge itself) it won't read. I also noticed that the filament inside the cable will move out quite a ways if pulled gently. Is this movement normal? is it time to replace the gearing in the engine case?

Gracias.

If you disconnect the cable at the engine, you can pull the inner cable completely out. At the engine end this inner cable fits into a sleeve on the fitting. Check to see if the cable will turn within this fitting. If so, that's your problem. I anchored mine with JB Weld, and others have merely crimped it to fit tightly on the cable.

Comment

It's also a good idea to remove the inner cable and lube liberaly with white lithium grease or suitable substitute 8)

Comment

well, i can see the cable spinning when the engine's running-- so i know that the gearing is working, it just won't spin under load

Comment

I do not quite understand what you refer to as "load" on the cable.

It is supposed to spin freely, except for turning the magnetized tach base, with has only a very nominal resistance, and there should never be a load on the cable. If it is binding, it is likely because of a damaged sheath, or there is a kink in it due to wrong routing.

Also check the fitting on the end of the cable, where it mates with the engine drive gear. It can come loose, and may need to be crimped.

BE CAREFUL OF THE FORKED END....it is fragile and can break easily.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X