Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What parts interchangeable between GS1000 chain and shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What parts interchangeable between GS1000 chain and shaft?

Well I bought a partially stripped GS1000G for 50 bucks because I wanted a good pair of fork tubes and the motorcycle wrecker told me that "if I wanted the forks I had to take the whole bike". (shafties aren't popular enough here yet, to be considered "resto-worthy", so are very cheap, it seems)

Anyway, I binned pretty much everything apart from the engine and front end, I've removed the head and cylinders which are in reasonable condition and will be useful on one of my GS1000S bikes, but I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on interchangeability of the rest of the engine/gearbox parts?

The clutch basket looks quite beefy compared to that on my chain driven bikes, and I wondered what the differences were (if any) between the shaft and chain driven models crankshafts, alternators etc etc? Also, what are the slotted screws on the top of the forks for, preload or damping? My chain bikes have factory air caps. Any info will be appreciated guys! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Re: What parts interchangeable between GS1000 chain and shaf

Originally posted by terry
    Also, what are the slotted screws on the top of the forks for, preload or damping? My chain bikes have factory air caps. Any info will be appreciated guys! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:
    The only thing I can help you with is that the slots are for preload.

Hap

Comment

the G used the same forks as the chain bikes so the forks you got came frome something else!

the G's used a head with bigger intake ports, alone worth almost 10hp stock. (G's use 32mm CV's, the older chain bikes used 26mm slide carbs)
      the G uses a larger diameter clutch basket that used one less plate, I am not sure if it will fit or work in a chain drived 1000
      some other items will interchange, the electrical system, ignition system, starter.
      I do not know about any of the gears, you could do a part number comparison in bike bandit to see if any numbers cross over.

Comment

The exhaust I bought for my 79 GS1000 chain drive I found out after the fact, as far as I can tell, was actually off of a GS1000G and it fit exactly the same as the stock one should. The only differences I found were that the #1 and #4 header pipes are welded to the muffers and the inside two were individual pipes where on the stock chain drive exhaust the #2 and #3 are welded to the mufflers and the outside two are different. The nice thing is that the shafty exhaust has nice large finned aluminum exhaust flanges versus the smaller finned and chromed cast iron flanges. Probably allows for better cooling in the valve area.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          the G used the same forks as the chain bikes so the forks you got came frome something else!

the G's used a head with bigger intake ports, alone worth almost 10hp stock. (G's use 32mm CV's, the older chain bikes used 26mm slide carbs)
          I've started to do a comparison (I have all the microfische parts manual cards for every US made suzuki bike built between 1973 and 1988) and the forks with the pre-load screws are off a 1980 GS1000GK, so they are actually correct for the junker I bought, and the later (1980 on) GS1000E, ET and S have the big port head with 34mm Mikuni CV carbs as standard.

The two later (1980 and 1981) GS1000S bikes I've owned both came with Mikuni 33MM slide carbs that I initially thought were aftermarket "Smooth Bore" items, but have since discovered were factory items not supplied in the US (probably due to your strict emission laws) hence, no mention on my US parts microfisches.

I dunno about the clutch though, I might try pulling it out and fitting it to my "S", as it looks to be in very good condition. When I get time I'll strip my 1979 GS1000S parts bike engine and the GS1000G engine to compare crank and gearbox similarites, and maybe make one good engine out of the two. Thanks for your help so far guys, Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Terry, I have been toying with the idea of a close ratio gearbox as used on the the wes cooley race bike.. it involves mixing gears from both a chanin and shaft gearbox.. so don,t throw anything away..
            A great score for $50...
            What is the front guard like? is it a painted or chromed version?

Regards Simon

Comment

Originally posted by simon lambert
              Terry, I have been toying with the idea of a close ratio gearbox as used on the the wes cooley race bike.. it involves mixing gears from both a chanin and shaft gearbox.. so don,t throw anything away..
              A great score for $50...

Regards Simon
              I would expect it to be a painted version,Simon.

I bought a chromed one off an 1100 a while ago, intending to use it on my 1100G, which had a split in it, but found not only is the size different (G is larger) but the mounts are significantly different. The G sits higher, and might be useable on other models, while the lower-mounted one cannot be used on a G model as the tire will not fit.
              ( I have had a nice, chromed, fender sitting in the garage ever since)

I cannot speak for the differences between G and other 1000 series fenders, but on the 1100 series the front fenders are NOT interchangeable.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by simon lambert
                A great score for $50...

Regards Simon
                Oooh, a close ratio gearbox eh? Geez that sounds good, and will go well with the Wiseco 1100 kit and ported big port head, when I mount that engine in my GS750. (I'm distraught that I sold those Yoshimura street cams last year) Which gear combinations do I use Simon?

It had a painted fender on it when I first saw it, but the wreckers had sold it by the time I came back a couple of weeks later. I had a new old stock painted fender, but I sold that to a guy in Britain for his GS1000S, as they look the same.

I got offered a GS1100GK with an aftermarket oil cooler on it for $180.00 (for the whole bike) from the same wreckers but was too slow to get back to them, and it was gone by the time I decided to go back and buy it.

He also bought a GSX1100 and GS750 from one guy for 600 Aussie bucks (about 450 US) the 1100 was in excellent condition (he sold it for 2500) and his son used the 750 engine for a buggy and sold me the rolling chassis. (I wanted the spoke wheels) It's amazing how little money people will accept when they just want to get rid of something?

Anyway, if you know about these gear combos, let me know? Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Mate struggled to get this info in the right format..
                  email me and I can send it to you in an XL spread sheet.
                  This is just an idea at present as I do not know if the gears will fit
                  or marry up on the shafts.. I need a cheap G gearbox to check
                  (hint hint)

Yoshi

1st 9.65
                  2nd 7.46
                  3rd 6.05
                  4th 5.17
                  5th 4.78

Make up box

1st 9.18 gs1000g 2nd gear
                  2nd 7.13 1000sn/e 3rd gear
                  3rd 5.81 1000g 4th gear
                  4th 4.97 1000g 5th gear
                  5th 4.77 1000sn/e 5th gear

1000e STD gearbox

1st gear 12.42
                  2nd gear 8.83
                  3rd gear 6.86
                  4th gear 5.59
                  5th gear 4.77

1000g STD gearbox

1st gear 12.91
                  2nd gear 9.18
                  3rd gear 7.13
                  4th gear 5.81
                  5th gear 4.97

1979 1000sn STD gearbox

1st gear 12.43
                  2nd gear 8.83
                  3rd gear 6.86
                  4th gear 5.59
                  5th gear 4.78

Make up box

difference
                  9.18 2.05 gs1000g
                  7.13 1.32 1000sn/e
                  5.81 0.84 1000g
                  4.97 0.19 1000g
                  4.77 1000sn/e

Yoshimura 1979 1000sn
                  Difference
                  1st gear 9.65 2.19 12.43
                  2nd gear 7.46 1.41 8.83
                  3rd gear 6.05 0.88 6.86
                  4th gear 5.17 0.39 5.59
                  5th gear 4.78 4.78

Comment

Thanks Simon, I'll pull them both apart on the bench and do a "side by side" comparison, and let you know! Chers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Ok,,, let me know before I splash out and buy a 1000G
                      There are a couple of bikes up here for sale..
                      They look like they have been used as boat anchors and the owner
                      wants a grand a piece for them..
                      No way will I pay that..

Comment

Isn't that ridiculous? I bought my 1981 "S" (the one in my signature pic) on the now defunct "Sold.com" back in 1999 from a guy in Adelaide for $850.00. Now I know that it was a bargain, but 1000 for a very tired "G" is just silly. I've seen several down here for only a couple of hundred, but haven't been that interested due to the incompatible cosmetics etc.

I bought a 1979 "S" for 500 from my local wrecker in 2000 because I needed a starter motor, the bike looked like it'd been dragged out of a creek and there were no salvageable cosmetic parts, but when I took the cam cover and (eventually) the head off, was pleasantly surprised to see it stuffed full of Yoshimura cams and pistons etc in excellent condition. You never know your luck. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Mate your a bastard for telling me this...
                          There was a supposed GS yoshi motor out of a sidecar here at a local
                          shop... turned out to be just a stock GS motor.. that had been sitting in
                          water for a couple of months..
                          I can,t complain too much thogh as I have picked up a couple of cheapies along the way..

It just takes time and patience and of course common sense or is that cents????

Comment

Working...
                          X