Gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank

I want to change the fuel tank on my 82 GS1100GL with one from the same year 1100 G or GK. I would like more riding distance between fuel stops. I currently am getting 40 mpg out of the bike but only get 120 miles before I have to use reserve and then fuel. I get about 170-190 out of my 81 GS850G @ 33-35 mpg. I thought I read in the posts that this change wouldn't work but could not find it again and wondered why? Any help will be greatful. I can get a really desent used tank @ a local savage yard for about 60 bucks with gauge & petcock so the swap should be pretty cheap. thanks for your time and input.
    Greg 8)

you May be able to make it work if you weld on the mounting points for the GK tank...the 2 frames are different though, so it's not a direct swap

Comment

gas tank

It figures that it wouldn't be easy and that the frames were different. thanks. I assume that this also applies to th e"G" modle as well? 8)

Comment

I like to think of it as the 'L' being the oddball, it's different than all the others, lowered cutout for seat

Comment

Simply ride your GL to the salvage yard, pull your tank off, and try to "dry-fit" the other tank in place, while you're in the parking lot.

That'll tell you everything you need to know, without having to rely on someone else's well-intentioned good guesses.

Comment

Working...
          X