Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas leak even after petcock rebuild - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, sounds like a deal I cant turn down. :-) It funny, I was out for a ride Wednesday afternoon and happened to note that at 95-100 mph, my mirrors are absolutely motionless. Exactly the same as they are when the bike is sitting on the centerstand in the garage not running. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rphillips
    Hey Earl, Let's swap. I'll swap both of my non-leaking, GS 1150 petcocks, one rebuilt the other not been rebuilt, for a non vibrating 1150 engine. I'll even throw in the ones from my GS 1100 & my wifeeee's GS 550, neither of them leak either. My personal prefrence is definitely OEM. Guess I'm just too lazy to be turning the fuel off & on all the time, like we had to do back in the early 70's,
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      I guess there are always exceptions. :-) Apparently, I have the only GS1150EF ever built that does not vibrate and you have the only OEM petcock ever built that does not leak. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by saaz
      I still have the original petcock on my 78 Gs1000. I have cleaned it once ot twice, no rebuil
      d kit necessary.
      Looks like the only fuel petcock complaints come from those who unfortunately have leaky ones. Makes sense I guess. Anyway my 79 petcock has never been rebuilt and also doesn't leak. My previous one didn't leak either. If mine starts to leak next week I guess I'll have blame Earl.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

My bike is not too bad vibe wise when cruising. Accelerate past 6500 hard and the mirrors get a bit buzzy just when you probably need them most....but I am usually looking ahead so it does not matter

Comment

Thats for sure. If I'm in 5th and accelerating hard from 6500, there is damn little that will be coming up on me from behind. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by saaz
          My bike is not too bad vibe wise when cruising. Accelerate past 6500 hard and the mirrors get a bit buzzy just when you probably need them most....but I am usually looking ahead so it does not matter
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

There is a rod with about a half loop of spring built into it that puts pressure on the diaphram in the prime position to allow fuel to flow. Try varying the length of that rod to cure your problem.

Comment

Working...
            X