lowering ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowering ????

hello , does anyone know of any tips for lowering a 79 gs 750 L , any suggestions would be great , thanks , scott

Well....you can raise the fork legs through the triple trees till they hit the handlebar bottoms, get a softer rate rear spring, maybe put on some weight

Comment

Are you trying to lower the bike for the looks, or because you have problems reaching the ground?

Comment

Get a really, really really fat girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
          Well....you can raise the fork legs through the triple trees till they hit the handlebar bottoms, get a softer rate rear spring, maybe put on some weight
          That would work great, but I get the feeling you want to lower the rear for that chopper look. This being the case the easiest way is to relocate the top mount of the shock units you have to lean them over, lowering the bike. Dont be too greedy... Probably the best route would be to get some shorter shock units, but of course it will cost a bit more that the above mods. If you want the bike to handle better lower the front and jack the back up, speeding up steering and putting more of your weight over the front wheel, where it belongs.... CJ

Comment

thanks everyone , i`m wanting to lower the rear , for the looks and i have a hard time reaching the ground , as for the fat girlfriend , i really don`t think the wife would like that , hahahahaha

Comment

Shorter fork springs up front and a "lowering kit" (a bracket that moves your bottom shock mount further back) off Ebay will do the trick, but beware, you'll not just lose some height, you'll also lose some cornering clearance, so if you intend to do any "Canyon Racing", be prepared to scar-up things like your exhaust headers and collector, alternator cover, footpegs etc.

Do it too hard, and you'll be picking gravel out of your ass and crying yourself to sleep for the next few weeks. Lowered bikes are only good for dragracing in a straight line, and "show ponies". (my apologies if you're "vertically challenged", he he) Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

If you want the bike to handle better lower the front and jack the back up, speeding up steering and putting more of your weight over the front wheel, where it belongs.... CJ[/quote]

Ouch. You are advising the guy to put catastrophic trail on his bike. Lowered front and raised back = speedwobbling death machine.

If you are lowering the bike, it is safe to lower the back about 2" without affecting trail too much and keeping the front end stock. It definitely makes a difference in the style of the bike. I will be posting pics of the lowering job I did on my 81 GS750L.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndebt
                  Ouch. You are advising the guy to put catastrophic trail on his bike. Lowered front and raised back = speedwobbling death machine.
                  Must be something wrong with your bike then, cos my Mil works a lot better, the steering is faster and when the front wheel is actually on the ground the thing is totally planted, even when running some very worn boots...

Comment

RB Racing, rake, trail, chassis, Easy Rider, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda, Jack Nicholson, chopper,motorcycle, calculator, Harley, Harley-Davidson, FXR, Dyna, Softail

Plug your numbers into this rake and trail calculator and be on the safe side. I would definitely not raise the front higher than the rear. Not only would it look like *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$, it is generally not safe. But, it's not my bike.......

Comment

suspension

You can get smaller springs in the forks or raise them into tha trees for the front .....the back you can adjust the spring to the softest positions if thats not enough you can remove the spring off the shock and grind off a few coils works great just make sure after wards you grind the last one as flat as posible to engage well into the washer....the tightest position on the spring would be best after doing this

Comment

Working...
                      X