rich problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rich problem

Ok just got this 83 gs850l and i went through the carbs and cleaned em, got them all shinned up and the junk out of all the passageways from sitting in storage for two years. I have it to where it runs pretty good at idle, and after it gets into the torque range, however if i punch it at low speeds it floods out and starts sputtering but slowly climbs out of it. once it picks back up its fine again. Spark plugs are nice and black when i pull them and i am getting real poor mileage. Looking for any suggestions as to what to look into to fix this problem

Do you have the air box on Will not run properly without it

Comment

Sounds like it's running rich so there could be a lot of reasons why. Here's a few things to check. Is the air filter in good shape? If it's old or dirty it won't flow very well. Any blockage at the air box inlet? Maybe there's a mouse nest in there, it's been known to happen. Are the carb jets all stock sizes? Are the floats adjusted to the correct height? Did you install the needles correctly? Any holes or tears in the carb diaphrams? I'm sure there's a lot of other things that can cause this problem but you have to start somewhere.
      Axel

Comment

I thank you for the ideas I have gone through the air box and carbs, and i need to find a book to see where the floats are supposed to be set, some putz before me pushed on them and the floats would touch the top of the carb without pushing on the needle. As for the jets i didn't think of that, just assumed still stock so i appreciate the extra view. I'll just keep plugging away for now though. thanx for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X