Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive Shaft Failure . . . . Prevelent problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the last time I did the Concours I used synthetic wheel bearing grease, Valvoline, I think. Next time tho' I'm ging to get some of that paste with the genuwine Molly B. Denim stuff in it. Conc splines they tell me are very expensive.

Comment

Ever consider White Lithium grease and lead. Mix it together, works like nothing else I have ever seen. My father-inlaw ( who could rebuild/repair anything mechanical or automotive ) would to use this on all his outboard engines. and anything that needed lubrication. 30 years later when we took them apart to replace something, they looked brand new.

Comment

Hey, Thanks guys.
        So now I understand: Moly bearing paste, at least 40%, maybe even specificlly states that is for spline lube, maybe brown, maybe 60%. I'll look for that at parts store.
        I am 3rd owner of this 80 GS850G (pics on web page) and have had it for 10+ years, 2nd owner was motorcycle mechanic who had it for 10 years, dont know about 1st/original owner. But then again, I have been using regular axel grease with each tire change (3 X) for these 10 years, so maybe I am subject to this spline failure. Oh, wait, others have said the splines were changed to a softer metal in 82 or 83, so . . . . . .
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Don't worry too prematurely! Keeping good grease up to the splines is a good step, using someone best suited to the job will only ensure that the good maintenance you have been doing will keep problems at bay. The splines do get very hot and lots of pressure, so the moly grease and anything better ensures they have a btter chance to survive. Unlike motor oil, I think the consensus is that using the right grease here makes a difference in the long term.

Perhaps to keep your mind at rest, the spline failures due to grease on ST11s, BMWs etc usually are on high mileage units, used a lot. I am talking 80,000kms up here. It is at these and bigger mileages that any previous maintenance problems start emerging. If later GS splines are generally a bit weaker, don't skimp on the grease! But it may not solv an underlying problem.

From what I have seen, many dealers do not use the better stuff. I don't know what Suzuki specifiy, but this may be part of the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X