size issues with a '82 gs650l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

size issues with a '82 gs650l

I purchased my first bike this year and it's a possibly a little small for me. I am about 6'2" and 220 lbs. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might make the cockpit a bit larger feeling? Also, any suggestions for boosting horsepower? I've heard of a kit that replaces the airbox/filter with four seperate cone filters on the back side of the carbs.
    Any ideas? (a larger bike is out of the question for the time being due to finances)

It's that stepped seat that makes the bike feel that way. You can't stretch out because of the hump. Unfortunately the frame is designed for that seat and a simple swap for an E seat won't work.

If your bike has engine guards you can add a set of highway pegs. I don't think anyone is still making these guards for the 650. Might look/advertise for a set in the parts wanted/for sale section here and on e-bay.

You can also try repositioning the handlebars for the most comfortable spot.

Ah, the bottom line is...not much you can do.

Comment

Re: size issues with a '82 gs650l

Originally posted by deathbot
      Also, any suggestions for boosting horsepower? I've heard of a kit that replaces the airbox/filter with four seperate cone filters on the back side of the carbs.
      Not quite that simple. To do the job correctly after the intake has been modified the carbs will need to be rejetted, if the engine is running lean or rich. A jet kit will get you in the ball park but you're still looking at taking off and putting on those carbs 3 or 4 possibly more times... And I've found, over the years, that a lot of horsepower gains from shadetree tuners is between the ears and not at the back wheel. My advice, tune the bike up to original specs, make sure the suspension is in excellent shape and practice on riding skills. A well ridden bike can be a lot faster than a bigger one ridden by a poor rider.

Comment

Might look/advertise for a set in the parts wanted/for sale section here and on e-bay.
        My Roommate and I are working on his 81 GS650GL and it has the chrome engine grill and Highway bars which he wants to get rid of and sell. They are a little rusted and pitted are still on the bike (we have yet to remove them). Will post in the parts for sale sections later when they are available for purchasing.

We are currently doing a pods installation on the same bike so will also post and let you know how that went later.

Comment

If it's your first bike, I don't know how much I would suggest highway bars. It might be too tempting to use them and while learning, I'd keep those feet at the controls.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X