Headlight Warning light on 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Warning light on 1150

I finally got my gauges on last weekend and rode the bike with them for the first time, bike was wrecked somewhat and had none when I got it. Anyway the headlight warning light kept coming on and going off. Anyone got an idea of what to check first, and yea the head light is fine Mike J

Probably the control unit under the tank. Try to move the cable back- and forward at the point there the cable connects to the control unit and see if the light goes out. It's not possible to dismantle the control unit, it has to be replaced.

There is a thread about how to remove the control unit in the tips & tricks area. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=4315

Check also all the cable connections, but a lot of people including myself have had problem with the unit itself.

Comment

Karl, I suppose you mean the box just over the carbs? So does that unit go bad or is it connections? Is it worth replacing? I would like to have all the units working but I know sometimes as these things age they start going bad. Mike J

Comment

My 84 ES does the same thing. Mostly in the first half hour of riding. I've just learned to ignore it. Niether of my 85 E's does it.

Comment

Karl actually means the box behind the lefthand sidecover with two connectors going into it,bypass it , you dont really need it.
          Dink

Comment

So what are the two boxes just over the carbs? One is larger than the other. Mike J?

Comment

One is the idicator flasher can, the other is the timer box for your auto-cancelling.Whilst you are in there throw the timer box over your shoulder too.
              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                Karl actually means the box behind the lefthand sidecover with two connectors going into it,bypass it , you dont really need it.
                Dink
                Hi Dink,

I actually meant the box behind the RIGHT-HAND side cover over the carbs.

Personally I have experienced three torn boxes.

The first on the -84 EF as I bought it back in 2000, I replaced it with a used box, the replaced box worked if I positioned the cable there it connects to box, as soon as the cable came in an other position the warning lamp went on.

Then I bought my EF -85 last year that box was also torn, with similar behavior.

I thought the boxes had some bad connection there cable is connected inside the box, and tried to take it apart to see if it was possible to repair.

But the boxes are molded with black rubber like stuff, and it was impossible to remove the black stuff without destroying the box.

So, I bought a new box as spare from Suzuki and everything worked fine after that.

Last year I replaced the speedo/tacho so the spare box is no longer in use, but that's an other story.......

As Dink wrote, I agree that you don?t need the control unit box, and the same goes for the self canceling of the turn signals, but I can understand Mike J if he wants to have the bike I perfect shape with everything working as then it was new, that was my reason paying a lot of money just to get this fixed.

/Karl

Comment

Originally posted by mike J
                  So what are the two boxes just over the carbs? One is larger than the other. Mike J?
                  The smaller one is for the turn signals, the bigger one there the cable end with two connectors is the control-unit for check panel system, the one I was describing in my earlier post.

The automatic turn signal self canceling unit is behind the LEFT hand side cover, placed just in front of the electronic box for the ignition.

This is how the units are placed on both my -84 EF and -85 EF.

I don't know if the E -models have them placed different, Dink probably knows that.

Comment

So is it worth trying to get all the sensors fixed? How long would they work if I bought all new components? Im mean the bike is 20 yrs old, If they would last another 20 yrs I'd just buy new and have fun. Mike J

Comment

I think that you just have to replace the monitoring unit box, that's what normally is the problem.

If you replace it with a new one as I did, it will probably work fine, the monitoring system is handy to have then it works, but as Dink wrote you do need it to operate the bike.

The monitoring system has only one sensor, the one for the battery solution level, if you buy a new battery, the battery comes with a new sensor, wherfor the sensor is normally in good shape, at least as good as the battery....

The self cancelling turn signal system has one speed sensor placed inside the speedo gauge, do you have problem with that unit as well?

The self cancelling system is also handy to have if it works, I see it as a saftey device if I forget to turn off the turn signal.

EDIT:

PDF-file removed

Comment

Will the process described above, work for my 83 GS1100 ESD? I seem to have the same problems with my warning lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig
                          Will the process described above, work for my 83 GS1100 ESD? I seem to have the same problems with my warning lights.
                          The process described in the PDF-file is for GS1150 1984 - 86.

I don't know if it works for the 83 model.

Comment

Working...
                          X