Buying a chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a chain

It's apparent that I need a new chain. I know I could get a Suzuki OEM chain from any number of places, but what about a third party supplier? Are there generic chains? What should I look for?

Dave

Any motorcycle shop will be able to get you a good replacement chain. Third party is ok, but beware of cheap chains. Expect to pay around $100 for something worth using. Make sure your choice is an o-ring equpped chain. Also, plan on new sprockets as well. They may not look worn, but if your chain is stretched, your sprockets are toast.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Any motorcycle shop will be able to get you a good replacement chain. Third party is ok, but beware of cheap chains.
      How would a motorcycle shop know which chain I need? Is there a cross-reference guide?

Dave

Comment

They can look it up. Call any shop and tell them your bike model and year and they'll hook you up with what you need.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Dave, try Dennis Kirk www.denniskirk.com. I have had very good service from their Parts Unlimited X-ring chain. You're probably in the 70-75 dollar range for one that will fit your bike. They can also supply sprockets. Order their free catalog. Its has many cross references. Chain, sprockets, levers, tire sizes, lots more. Can't beat the price.

Phone#s: Order (get your catalog) 800-328-9280

Tech Advice: 320-358-4793 your nickel, but they'll answer your questions.

Comment

Here are a couple of sites. Go to the first to find info about your bike, the second provides various mfg's and the part# for your application.

1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
            X