Good Idea/Bad Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Idea/Bad Idea

I'm very new to motorcycles so I may be way off base on my idea here. To eliminate the problem of syncronizing carbs, adjusting multiple carbs, and more parts to break; why couldn't I build an intake and install a larger single carb on my 425e. I realize this would require a large bore carb but wouldn't it be worth it to lessen all the tuning hassles. I've also thought of building my own fuel injection but the electronics don't seem cost effective.

carbs

You can do it but is it worth it since you only have a twin!!! you could have a problem getting jets, and correct slide cut aways and still never get it right, as well as the room to do it and cable hassles, for about a tenth the cost, you can buy what you need to sync, and adjust the carbs plus you will have it when you move up in size,in bikes

Comment

Yes you could. The Brit guys install a single big Mikuni in place of the old twin Amal carbs all the time mainly due to the Amals being such a PITA. I think however that replacing the dual Mikunis on your 425E with a single one would be a lot more hassle than it's worth. Once you get familiar with them they shouldn't be that hard to tune, probably a lot easier than trying to get the jetting right on a carb conversion.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Jetting and cables may be a pain, but think of the cool factor!

Comment

You want your bike to run like a Harley?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

carbs

You know sandy every one that has a brit bike complains about the carbs, I have been using them for about 30 years and I can tune them to work every bit as good as the mk carbs, you just have to realize that they need to be tuned in every way and not just swapping jets the slide cut away on them plays a big part in proper fuel draw as well as needle tapper,and few have the knowledge or the parts to do these carbs right

Comment

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
              You know sandy every one that has a brit bike complains about the carbs, I have been using them for about 30 years and I can tune them to work every bit as good as the mk carbs, you just have to realize that they need to be tuned in every way and not just swapping jets the slide cut away on them plays a big part in proper fuel draw as well as needle tapper,and few have the knowledge or the parts to do these carbs right
              You're 100% percent right. I have a friend with a collection of Brit stuff and he still runs the Amals on all if them. Even the Rocket III and Trident. His bikes always run perfect. I restored an '68 A65 a number of years ago and it ran great with the Amals. Once you replace the worn out parts and get good at syncing and tuning they work fine. A lot of people just don't have the patience or knowledge to do that so I guess that's why mk kits are popular in some circles. Went to the INOA national rally last year when it was in Lumby, BC and was pleasently surprised by how few bikes had been converted. I guess one has to appreciate that a lot of people new to this sport have no idea what point ignition is and many have never seen a carburator. I do have to say that to most people the Amal's are a PITA.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

The Concentric on my BSA 250 Starfire works fine. Couldn't see putting anything but an Amal on it!

85 miles to the gallon...two tankfuls to the big end... 8O

Comment

starfire

Ahh the 250 starfire, great for when your hemoroids itch, has just the right vibrations, or you can put it on its center stand with the wife on the seat rev it to about 3,00 rpm and watch her toes curl and her eyes roll back in her head, aleast it worked with my Goldie 500

Comment

Back in the 70s, someone made a carb conversion kit for the goldwing: it was an intake plenum like a car that mounted a single automotive carb (I want to say a Weber or a Holley) on top. I always thought that was kind of cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
                      Back in the 70s, someone made a carb conversion kit for the goldwing: it was an intake plenum like a car that mounted a single automotive carb (I want to say a Weber or a Holley) on top. I always thought that was kind of cool!

It's still around. Sold by Cycle Innovations. They sell the manifolds, and the carb of choice these days is a Solex 1 barrel.
                      Manifolds are available for the gl1000, 1100, and 1200.

GSinTX, the gl's are flat fours, similar to an old VW engine, so this won't help you much...

Comment

Working...
                      X