Such a thing as too cold? Valve shimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a thing as too cold? Valve shimming

I know the bike has to sit overnight to cool off before adjusting valves, but with the temp at 30 degrees would that have an effect on the gap also? I've been avoiding it all year on my 80 850 and now I think it's time to do it.

yeah.....just in time for winter 8)

I'm not positive about whether that temp. would have any ill affect, but if your cautious, perhaps doing it in the mid-day would be a safer bet? maybe let it sit in the sun.... :P

Comment

Re: Such a thing as too cold? Valve shimming

Originally posted by arveejay
      I know the bike has to sit overnight to cool off before adjusting valves, but with the temp at 30 degrees would that have an effect on the gap also? I've been avoiding it all year on my 80 850 and now I think it's time to do it.
      I think all manuals would just state to make sure the motor has sat overnight. But freezing temp's could be beyond what the manual intends and you would get "false" wider clearance reads.(?)
      To eliminate any doubt, I would also wait until it was at least 50 degrees or so.
      Much more comfortable for you, especially if you do the "slip and skin my knuckle" thing.
      Also, when you turn off the bike prior to a valve clearance check the next day, lean the bike from side to side a little. This will allow more hot oil to drain out of the valve/cam area and you'll have less oil mess when doing the job.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I did have quite an accumulation of oil that made a mess. Got lucky and needed no major shim changes. Did swap a 265 for a 265x and a 275 for a 275x and that was all I need to doafter I lit the furnace in garage and let it warm up to about 70 degrees for a couple hours before I started. Sync needed a tiny adjustment but that was all, now I will to the 1100 next, when I get the ambition. Thanks for answers.

Comment

Working...
        X