Chrome Cam Cap Installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Cam Cap Installation?

I need to know if the only way to install these caps is by removing the valve cover? If so, how much trouble is this on a GL 650L. Looks like a lot of work to install one missind cap. Thanks

If you mean those circular (some gs's are square, but yours are like my 850L I believe) chrome end caps , then all you have to do is screw them in. You don't need to take the valve cover off. They have little real function, other than for cosmetic reasons.

just screw them in, and careful about those weak philips screws....soooo easy to strip those things.

Comment

The screws on these caps mount from the bottom side up. they don't show when you look at the cap.

Comment

If its like the 82 GS650G that I had (photo on webpage) there are two screws behind the cover, vertical, hidden from sight. I assume it is, otherwize you would not be asking. Notice the covers have portions of the edge cut away on the lower edges to allow some access to the screws, although the head cooling fins are right there also.

If you are wondering why others are saying to just put screw back in, its beacause others (earlier, like my 80 GS850) have screws going trough it horizonally with the screw heads exposed.

Assuming yours are like my 82 GS650G: If you have one end cover missing you see the treaded holes in that tab sticking out from the cam cover. Yep the covers can be replaced without removing teh cam cover, I've done it a couple times.

Your only option other than removing the cam cover is this:
        - Get replacemnet cover and screws.
        - Heat and bend a phillips screw driver shaft at 90 degrees. Have to really figure out at what lenght to bend it. I think I did one, and then later did another one at a better length.
        - Need to get a small piece of mirror to lay on head to be able to see up and under and behind the cover. I had to use just a pices of mirror glass because any other mirror was too thick and was in the way.
        - After you do get this one replaced, then Get in habit of checking to see if they are loose from time to time (can hear it rattle actaully), so you can tighten them before they fall off. Or maybe use some locktight when you replace this one.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I did exactly as REDMAN, but I got some of those little, very thin lockwashers for the screws. I also had one heck of a time getting them in and on the screwdriver head, so I had to use something (in my case a leaf stem :roll: ) to wedge the screws in the valve cover, just below the level of the chrome caps screwholes, so that I could hold the cap on and not drop the screw while I turned them both. you only get 1/4 turn each time, and then you have to reset the screwdriver. maybe a slightly shorter bent screwdriver would work, but I was out of scrap screwdrivers!

do it on a cold engine, it took me half an hour to do two! good luck!!

Comment

my way

I use a phillips bit , 1.5 " long, from a power drill with a 1/4 open end wrench. Takes a little time but it gets done.

Blue loctite is a good idea , the red stuff is too permament.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

It seems a very common thing for the bolts to escape from these locations, so, if you would like to have them stay in place, try adding a drop of BLUE Loctite before assembly.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X