Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 MPH SPEEDOMETER

Help Out There!!!

I have 2) 1980 "GL" models, an 850GLT, & a 1000GLT, My babies both have the stock 85mph speedo. Is there somewhere, out there, I might find a compatible replacement speedo that shows more speed and that is more inline with the bikes capabilities?

Thanks! Stephen

Cateye

You can get a bicycle computer for about $20 that will tell you about your speed past 85mph. I don't know if you can find a stock instrument cluster from another bike that will give you all the same functions as yours. the bicycle computer is pretty small too, about the size of a watch. I use one on my race bike to help tuning on the straights. It will also record your max speed, ave. speed, etc.
    you can also use one of these boogers for dirt bikes in the woods.

-KM

Comment

you could try to locate a speedo head for a pre-80 bike, they went up to 140mph, some modification may be needed but in most cases will be minor.
      I attempted to up grade via e-bay and in 3 attempts I ended up with 3 140mph speedos (1=78,1=79, and 1=83 complete cluster) that don't remotely read correctly even though the odometers worked correctly and counted up the miles correctly.
      after some deep contemplation, I realized that 95% of the time I run below 85mph, and a 140mph speedo to me was only to shut up the idiots who see the 85mph speedo and think that the bike will only go 85mph (DUH!)
      I opened my 85 speedo and removed the stop pin at 85 so it now can go past 85. (back around to 0=115)

Comment

i have one on my bike, but i have no idea where it is from...

It reads to 160, and is accurate, via gps verified..(i've only gone about 110ish though)

here's a pic... it's oem suzuki, i know that..

1980 gs550e

Comment

suh-weet. i just picked up a sigmasport 1200, and i'm fabricating a way to mount it inside the old speedo housing.

i'm envious of your choke knob.

Comment

The one brveagle pictured looks perfect!!!! I can see the suzuki logo, is there any other identifying marks or a part number on it to help me track it down?????

Thanks Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by fozzie99
              The one brveagle pictured looks perfect!!!! I can see the suzuki logo, is there any other identifying marks or a part number on it to help me track it down?????

Thanks Stephen
              From Alpha Sports ( http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm ):

Speedo 80 GS850GL: Part# 34110-45310

Speedo 80 GS1000GL: Part# 34110-45310

Same numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                Originally posted by fozzie99

Thanks Stephen
                From Alpha Sports ( http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm ):

Speedo 80 GS850GL: Part# 34110-45310

Speedo 80 GS1000GL: Part# 34110-45310

Same numbers...
                umm, the 1980 GS850GL has the 85 mph speedo...
                check out this link for verification:

i have been trying to locate what kind of speedo I have, as it was on the bike when i got it, and i have had NO luck whats so-ever.... Does anyone know where they might have stamped a model number?

Comment

Working...
                X