the diaphrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the diaphrams

what would happen i had a crack, or possible tear in my diaphrams in my carbs? gs1100e

It won't run right. You have a 1980 or newer 1100E with CV (constant velocity) carbs. The way these work is that the more air flow you have, the more the slide raises the needle and effectively increasing the air volume simultainiously. Basically, the carb(s) that have holes in the diaphragm(s) won't be spitting the correct amount of fuel to the engine.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The carb in question would be at increased risk of pregnancy?
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
        The carb in question would be at increased risk of pregnancy?
        Boo Hiss............. waddling mean and (not so) lean

Comment

it wouldnt cause bogging off idle would it, err while asking, what would. air fule mixture maybe?

Comment

it wouldnt cause bogging off idle would it, err while asking, what would. air fule mixture maybe?
            It might, does it bog when you slowly pull away and when you take off hard and fast? Or one or the other?
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

And I'm curious has anyone ever tried to patch a crack or hole in one of the diaphrams? Silicone sealer/adhesive like Goop? Don't need to do it was just wondering. Last time I had to buy diaphrams/slides was for my XS2 Yamaha $22 for the PAIR so that let's you know how long ago it was!

Comment

I tore the diaphrams on my 98 GSX limited SeaDoo RAVE system. I used a little monkey super glue (tube patch kit) on the crack until the new one came in. Should work the same on the carbs too, wont last forever but it should get you down the road or across the lake in my case.
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

if i blip on the trottle fast, it boggs and every once in a while will die.

Comment

Originally posted by nickabeans
                    if i blip on the trottle fast, it boggs and every once in a while will die.
                    A bad diaphragm will not allow the carb to accept throttle properly or at all. No adequate vacuum to lift the piston (slide) and thus open the throttle plates. The carb will idle all day. Open the throttle, it bogs or dies. The size of the tear/crack is related to how severe the problem.
                    If you're deliberately opening the throttle faster than what's normal, the problem may be just that. If normal operation of the throttle gives good results...
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

not fast like, crazy fast, but like if i role on the throttle to get to around 3 or so fast, then it bogs.

Comment

If the bike won't accept throttle above idle either blipping it or trying to pull away, then your problem could be bad diaphragm(s). Look to see if they're installed right and check their condition.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Diaphragms

Mine ripped as I was attempting to put it in...
                          Local bike shop wanted $97 for one, I just bought a set of carbs for $11..
                          So theres my replacement......

Comment

Re: Diaphragms

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
                            Mine ripped as I was attempting to put it in...
                            Local bike shop wanted $97 for one, I just bought a set of carbs for $11..
                            So theres my replacement......
                            8O 8O 8O $97.00??? Quick check with bikebandit...they want $110.64...
                            8O 8O 8O

Comment

Carbs

A buddy of mine knows a company in U.K that will replace the Diaphragm with a new one for 28 pounds ($50) but I waited it out on EBAY>

Comment

Working...
                              X