Electrical problem, can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical problem, can anyone help?

Hi guys, my 82 GS1100EZ has suddenly developed an electrical problem. She'll start and run fine, the headlight comes on, but, no dash lights, turn signals or brake light will work.

Any ideas on where I should look for the source of this problem?

Vic

The abvious thing to check is the fuses but I am sure you have already due that. I would check all, of the connections and then all of the grounds. Make sure that you have good contact to bare metal and that you do not have a pinced wire. Then check your fuse holder. Mine was coroded and gave me problems. After that you do a stator and R/R check to make sure that they are produceing enough voltage.

The Beast

Comment

The Beats covered the areas quite nicely.

Actually, the first thing you should do is buy a decent Volt-Ohmmeter or Multimeter. You will find it invaluable for such checks as these, and many others. I have a decided prference for the digital-read units for working on the bike.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

Vic

Comment

I had the same symptoms...different bike. If it is like my '83 750 then one fuse controls all the lights you mentioned. The problem went away when I cleaned all the connectors in the circuit, plus the battery connections.

Comment

need more info to help: horn work? the ignition (ON) oil light come on? front brake light work?

Comment

electrical problems

I have an 80 GS1000 that developed some weird intermittent electrical problems. I discovered the fuse block assembly was slightly corroded.
              The factory original had a cover to help keep out road moisture, but they
              were not secured to the fuse box, they just snapped on. Mine was missing in action.

I replaced the fuse block and all of the problems disappeared. I also
              placed a cable tie on the cover to keep in nearby if it vibrated off.

Good luck!

Comment

I was about to make the same point as Rick. Of you have the tube type fuses don't assume they are connecting properly. On my 78GS1000 I have had problems of intermittent cutout I traced to the fuse box. The fuse connections need to be cleaned and even sand papered to restore a good connection. They seem to build up a non-conductive layer over time. So even if the fuse is not blown it will not seem to work.

Comment

Working...
                X