1982 GS1100GK mechanical advance??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GK mechanical advance??

I have a dyna S ingition to put on (maybe) an 1982 GK. I know I need a mechanical advance it make this work. When I pull off the cover where points would be if I had points I see a big metal rotor going about sending spark to the coils (I guess). The T (for lack of a more appropriate term) on the rotor hits some electronic mounts to kick off the spark.

How can I tell if this is mechanical advance or not as I have nothing to compare it to?

Any help would be appreciated.

RG

You can tell if it has mechanical advance by checking to see if it has springs and weights.

Vic

Comment

Would they be visible without removing parts to inspect?
      RG

Comment

They would be slightly visible, on the backside of everything. You can run the engine with or without this cover, so shut it off, take the cover off, and grab the shaft behind the nut on the end. it should rotate freely for about 30 degrees...which means it has a mechanical advance.

~Adam

Comment

Your 1982 should be electronic, with no points and no mechanical advance.

I woiuld expect you may have to find a compatible mechanical unit from an older bike, as all Suzukis from 1982 had electronic ignition, and many had it before that.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will look at it again Friday morning. If I don't have a mechanical advance I will simply send the part back and work out something else.

again Thank you

RG

Comment

Working...
            X