Tool question- as in, why am I one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool question- as in, why am I one?

Last year I had the clutch plates and fibers replaced on my 81 1100. My 83 1100, now my primary ride has a slipping clutch so I decided to pull the guts out of the 81 to put into the 83 until I get the cash up for replacment of the 81 parts. I decided to pull the entire clutch out (who knows why) but couldn't figure out how to hold the hub to remove the large 32mm nut. The manual says to use the Suzuki tool, but I say, "hell, I can come up with something." So I attach two pieces of flat stock with holes drilled in each end to the spring posts on the hub and the bolt holes in the case for the clutch cover. You can guess what happened- SNAP! So supid.

Does anyone know of a good method to hold the clutch hub for removal of that big nut without having to buy the Suzuki tool? I hate buying task specific tools, but if there is a good general tool I need to buy, I don't mind that.

Oh yeah, if anyone has a clutch hub they want to get rid of for my 81, let me know.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Jethro, I am trying to remember how I locked the clutch hub when I worked on my clutch. My recollection is that I put the bike in gear, then put a 2-by-4 through the rear wheel (and against the swinging arm) so that the wheel could not turn while undoing the nut.

I hope that this helps.

BB

Comment

Nothing wrong with being a tool 8)

Comment

Jethro, I am trying to remember how I locked the clutch hub when I worked on my clutch. My recollection is that I put the bike in gear, then put a 2-by-4 through the rear wheel (and against the swinging arm) so that the wheel could not turn while undoing the nut.
        I put it in gear, the clutch hub still spun freely- at least I think I put it in gear- god I hope this thread doesn't make me feel even more stupid!!! Does the hub spin free when in gear? Remember, the pressure plate is off at this point.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          I put it in gear, the clutch hub still spun freely- at least I think I put it in gear- god I hope this thread doesn't make me feel even more stupid!!! Does the hub spin free when in gear? Remember, the pressure plate is off at this point.
          the basket spins with the engine, the inner hub with the trani, no pressure plates they spin independently, you should be able to wedge the rear tire enough to hold the hub...I just use an air impact to remove the nut, but, the holding tool consists of a drive disc (splined inner diameter)with a handle tack welded to it in 2 spots..

Comment

This clutch holding tool made by Motion Pro is pretty universal. I've seen it in several bike shops, so you should be able to find one without too much trouble.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well it takes me a while, but I learn things eventually:

Don't take the chain off before:
              1. Removing the front sprocket
              2. Removing the clutch hub and basket

I took the chain off a week ago. I took the plates out as soon as I took the pressure plate off. Stupid me put the bike in gear and said, "that's funny, I would have thought this clutch axle would be held still." If one or both of these were still in the bike while I was taking the clutch hub nut off, I suppose I would have been better off. I guess I should figure out how things work before tearing them apart, but that's how I learn in my own stupid way. Now I know exactly how my clutch works!
              Currently bikeless

Comment

tool

cheap tool use the old plates to make a holding tool, use 2 metal and 2 fiber ,drill to opposed holes for bolts to lock them to gether (be sure there align right) go to hardware store, get a piece of iron or a real long shank bolt, put a 45 degree bent about 1 1/2 inch from the end weld that end to one of the steel plates, you can get the steels plates from a bike salvage yard dirt cheap, bolt the plates together in sequence and you have a tool, the longer the handle the better

Comment

Put your full set of current plates back in and press against them, how is that for easy!!! No need to purchase anything.
                  Seriously re-fit the full set of plates and press against them with your fingers, it will slip a bit but you will be able to disassemble the hub nut.
                  Dink

Comment

Working...
                  X