Points acting like spark plugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points acting like spark plugs.

I've got a 1979 GS850 that I recently picked up. I'm wondering about the rear set of points that are giving off a lot of spark when the engine is running. The front set of points don't spark at all. Is this a problem? The point gap is within spec; I haven't checked the timing yet. Number 2 plug wasn't firing when I got the bike home, but with new plugs and messing with the plug wire its now firing again. Engine starts and revs good. Thanks.

Replace your condensors.

Hap

Comment

spark

got to agree replace the condeners, in the simplest of terms the condeners are like electrical shock absorbers, when they start to go bad you get arcing across the points

Comment

points acting like spark plugs.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

just make sure your condensors are good and your gaps are set make sure the points are clean

Comment

Since you already have arcing, you will likely have high spots on the surface. These will affect your timing, and the current going to the coils.

You can clean up burned points with a small file. Electronics have replaced the old points system, but you should still be able to find a specialty file somewhere. If not, use a small, flat, file that allows you to clean the points and that, when completed,the two faces match EXACTLY when closed.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

You could always buy new points just to be safe i payed $15 a side.....im sure i got ripped off but i had no choice..its worth it in the end if adjusted well you will be rewarded with a smoother engine if everything else is right....ive been considering getting the electronic system and installing it myself.....if anyone could find me a good link where i can find more out about this your help would be GReatly appritiated.......after all i try to help as many people as i can!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help

I'm just going to put in all new stuff, test wires etc, gap, timing all that. Parts are interesting, I've found points from $6.95 to $24.00 a piece. The only condensers for this thing I've found are on the Web, "local" bike shops have given me condensors to try but so far no fit. Living in God knows where Nebraska makes things a little more difficult, but I'm in no real hurry, and it seems if you keep in seeking eventually you can find stuff. Again, thanks for the help and input.

Comment

Alternatively you can go this route. The Dyna III is being phased out with other, more expensive, products hence the low price. http://www.dynaonline.com/english/sportbike_dyna3.htm

A search of the GS Resources will generate a number of hits raving about this and Dyna's related products.

-Morgan

Comment

Working...
                  X