Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt at CV carbs. Tips on re-seating diapragms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first attempt at CV carbs. Tips on re-seating diapragms?

I pulled apart the carbs to lean them, and inspect the diaphragms.

Having a HECK of a time re-aligning those dang diaphragms to reassemble it. Any tips?

grease

Use a bit of grease to hold them in place....Mike

Comment

Here's how I did it:

1. Set the diaphragm dowm onto the carb body. Align the tab into it's hole and seat it there to locate the orientation of the diaphragm. If your carbs are like mine, at this point the diaphragm looks too big to properly seat into the groove again. Sort of like forcing an O-ring into a groove one size too small, if you've ever tried that....

2. Set cap down onto carb body to hold diaphragm down and prevent it jumping out of the groove.

3. Use a thin ruler or similar (piece of shim stock, feeler gauge, etc.) to slowly work around the circumference of the cap, gently pushing the daiphragm into the groove and holding it down with LIGHT pressure on the cap.

This is still not perfect, but it was the only way I could work the entire diaphragm lip into the groove without it jumping out at one point while I pushed down at another spot.

Mark

Comment

I use silicone vacuum grease to hold them in place and to help reduce any air leaks that might occur. Petroleum grease might not be good for the rubber (remember the rule with condoms?) but I'm not certain about this.

Jeff

Comment

I'll second the grease method.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

grease

Never thought about the type of grease but you've got a point Jeff. Purely luck that's what I used, silicone grease.......Mike

Comment

I don't believe you will have a problem with a petroleum based grease to hold the diaphram in place being that a fair amount of petroleum product is passing in and around a carb. And the diaphram is not made of latex rubber either .

Comment

Align the tab into it's hole and seat it there to locate the orientation of the diaphragm.

Look for a tiny indentation in the seating edge of the carb, and a equally tiny tab on the lip of the diaphragm.

You must get the tab into its proper place. After that, just run a finger tip around, and it should go into position.

Silicone seems to work well for lubrication.. I spray it on, then put them together. There has never been any problem.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks! I'll be trying that this afternoon.

I had considered conditioning them with silicone oil, to help preserve the rubber, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X