Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box carb boots -- friendly suggestion

Gang.

I just recently replaced the rubber boots that go between the AIRBOX and carbs (as opposed to the intake boots that go between the engine and the carbs--replaced them back in the summer). The old ones had hardened on the bottoms, would not seat/seal completely, and made it a bugger to get the airbox on. The new ones cleared all that up, made life easier, and made me feel glad again that I have my bike.

I just though I would toss this info out there for anyone else who may be working with an older bike and having carb troubles, or at least trouble getting their airbox on. The boots cost around $45 total, and my local dealership had to order them.

Best.

I did the same thing when I rebuilt my carbs. However, I just cut up an old radiator hose and used silicone and zip ties for the seal. Very easy to get the airbox in and out now, and the dealer did not get my $45.

Comment

Well done. Necessity is alive and well.

Comment

Good thinking, those things can sure mess up the operation of our bikes if they're not sealing.

Vic

Comment

What about using rad hose for the carb boots, the ones that go between the head & carbs? I've heard people use the hose & it works great.

Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Here is my thinking on that. Prior to the carbs, any small leak, is ok. So I was willing to try the radiator hose method. I balanced and dialed in the pilot settings on the carbs and they were fine. However, after the carbs any leak is a big deal. Also the radiator hose boots probably cant take the heat as well if they are directly on the engine block. For my GS there is no oprion to try that anyhow. The carb boots bolt right onto the block, so there is no work around. Ebay was able to help me out there $20 for all 4 and I ordered new orings from bikebandit.

Comment

yea, bikebandit is awesome, but they take awhile to ship...wyomingben is worse.

ordered manual on 10/21/04 at 11:42 PM. Called to ask WB when it was being sent, tehy said it shipped on the 21st. i asked them how that was possible, they said to expect it in days. i'm still waiting

Comment

m0unds,
                Call them right now. That is an awful story, and they will make it right. There must be a tracking number. Maybe your neighbor is the proud owner of a new GS manual. I have had great service and quick shipments. They are just a little pricy. But no complaints on service.
                Patrick

Comment

I had great service from BikeBandit, 6 business days from San Diego CA to Ontario Canada by FedEx surface, pretty quick i thought??? and i was able to track my shipment online 8)

Plus for some reason i didn't get hit with any import dutys

Comment

Could somebody explain how tight the tubes on the 1 into 4 manifold should be? The ones in my GS1100E came off when I had the carbs out and it didn't look like they did all that great of a job sealing since they are just plastic pipes in a plastic hole. My bike also likes to pop on deceleration but I'm unsure if this problem is simply my loud exhaust making the overrun noise more obvious that stock pipes or if it is a pre-carb leak. The carb boots between each carb and the head are fine.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

slip-on??

sorry, wrong button.... :roll:

Comment

Working...
                      X