X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time For Tires

HI all,
    I need the tire experts, I'm not him,
    Looking for make/model for those hard to find GS tires.
    A matched set would be nice
    Front 100/90 19"
    Rear 130/90 17"
    I see most tires use the new rating system, how do I convert it.
    4.50/4.75-17 I figured out the 17 is the other in inches vs mm's?

Who mfg a good set of these and where can I get them? I found ONE 19inch on DennisKirk and a few CHEAP ones on JCWhitney but not sure if I can trust them.

HELP

PS The avg price on DKirk is $100 to $150 and JC is $50
    Are JC's that cheap or is DKirk way overpriced?

Stimpy

Comment

This has the best prices I can find for tires. http://www.accwhse.com/

Comment

My tires are 90/90/19 and 130 90/16. I get them from my local motorcycle repair shop, and he gets them from? don't know, but he has no trouble getting them. The front tire I replaced last changed from 90/90/19 to 100/90/19 the extra 10mm does make a differrence, but alas the forks will not allow me to go any wider. Now the back tire: I was using Bridgestone Spitfire and all I got was 14000kms, about 8500 miles, not good still the tire only cost $130cdn. I am now trying Dunlop K627 with more of a touring pattern. Again only $130cdn. I'll se if this one does any better.

Comment

Stimpy,
          Don't you get any motorcycle magazines? They all have ads from places like Chaparral and M.A.W. Both places will have a large selection of tires for your bike. For Chaparral try www.800-841-2960.com. M.A.W. www.mawonline.com.
          Axel

Comment

Actually I DONT get any motorcycle magazines, BESIDES, according to AD's all there products are all PERFECT. This way I get your experience with specific name brands/performance/wear ETC.
            so to heck with advertisements I want to know more info than that.
            Thanks though

Comment

Okay here's what I recommend. First, stay away from JC Whitney for tires. The last time I checked they didn't list brand names, so there's no telling what kind of crap you'll get. Second, if money were no object I would buy Metzeler's, ME33 or ME330 front and ME99, ME55 or ME550 rear. Metzeler makes great tires, they handle good, stick in the rain and hold up well. If money was tight I would buy Bridgestone S11's they work almost as well and may last longer. They are considerably less expensive.
              The sizes you mentioned are correct.
              Axel

Comment

Thanks, the Metzsler's dont look too expensive
                NEXT question, I want a smaller profile if I can, and a bit wider(I got clearence to 6 1/2inch so maybe go to 150mm and lower profile (thinner)
                what is that can I go from 90 to 80 or 70???
                Stimp

Comment

Absolutely not. Forget the clearance, these are the widest tires made for your rims. Anything wider will screw up the handling. Lower aspect ratio tires are made for wider rims.
                  Axel

Comment

Stimpy,I use the same size tires as you. Personally I stay away from the lesser known brands of tires. Like Axel I think the Metzelers are very good tires. I have them on both my street bikes. As for size, I'd stay with the stock width as the rear just fits in the swingarm. I've heard you can go to a 80 series tire in place of the 90. All this is is a slightly narrower side wall. A 90 is 90% of the tread width and an 80 is 80% of tread width. Which would lower your final gearing somewhat.I've never wanted to experiment so I can't say for sure.

Comment

If you check the tire manufacturers specifications I think you'll find most 80 series 17" rear tires are made for rims wider that the 2.5" that I believe you have. However, I did notice the Metzeler ME55A 140/80VB17 for Moto Guzzi can fit on a 2.5". However, it's only 5mm (146mm/5.75" total)wider than the 130/90 and it's 15mm smaller in diameter. The regular 140/80B17 is 156mm/6.14" wide but needs a rim at least 2.75" wide. I have tried a 140/80 Avon on my GS1100E once and wasn't pleased with the handling at all. I also have a Bridgestone BT45, 130/80 on my turbo and although it's supposed to fit a 2.5" rim it's clearly made for something wider. It was tough getting it on and the tire has too narrow of a contact patch.
                      Axel

Comment

So Axel,
                        a 140 is actually 156mm
                        Id like to lower the bike an inch, so a shorter profile might give me enough. I also have 6 inch rear width clearence and the rim is 4 inches.
                        I should be able to fit a wider tire and mayb lower profile???
                        Thanks

Comment

Here's a good link with a lot of tire (tyre) information that was posted earlier by saaz from Australia. It's the best that I've seen for tire info.

Welcome to the official website of Continental Bicycle Tyres in the UK, with all the latest product information and news for the brand.

Terry

Comment

stimpy

Since you asked I'll put in my 2cents wot=rth

According to their latest motorcycle catalog JCWhitney carries Cheng Shin tires. They ARE an inexpensive tire and some people don't like them.
                            I've run a set of Hi Max(906 front/907 rear)on my 77 GS550 and loved them. They hold the road in all kinds of weather and seem to wear well.
                            I plan to put a set of Cheng Shin on my 79 GS850. Need a different model to get the right size.

Check with both Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and Chaparral. Their prices with shipping might beat JCW.

Good Luck

Scott D. Orbaker

Comment

I used to count myself with the people who think that the only thing cheng shin tires are good for is to make tree swings out of them.
                              but I alowed myself to be talked into trying the "hi max 906" front tire, and it turns out to be a pretty good tire.
                              the 906 HI MAX has good traction and feel to them.
                              I like it better than the dunlop F24 that I used to have on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X