Time For Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stimpy
    What year and kind of bike do you have? For some reason I thought you had a GS1100 which has a 2.5" wide rear wheel. You do realize that rims are measured at the inside of the tire bead?
    Axel

Comment

I have 18" rims. Front Bridgestone BT45 grips well but chops out quickly (looks like you are a race track hero if thats what you want!!). ME33 front now on is great, better stability and steering, grips wonderfully, like on rails. Spitfire s11 ok touring tyre and moderate riding, lacks grip on cold winter roads, slips every now and then (controllably) but lasts well (should be 14,oookms for me). I need a gripier tyre for my riding, ME55 will probably be it.

Comment

Cheng Shin tires

I understand that Cheng Shin tires are made by Yokohama but that there was some business/legal reason they could not use the name Yokohama.

I used to run Yokohama tires on all of my street bikes (RD400, GS1000 and GS1100E) when I rode with full abandon and they never let me down one bit. The only down-side was that they did not last more than a couple thousand miles as they were soft (ie sticky) but I wanted the high grip.

I put Bridgestone tires on last year as I could not get Cheng Shin tires without back-ordering them. I am happy with the Bridgestones.

Patrick

Comment

You want tire wear? try a scooter! Those 10" wheels sure wear quickly. I had a Yamaha BSW bored out to a 70cc, and a 250cc Honda Elite. I first used Cheng Chin tires on the Yamaha and better milage than the stock Dunlops. Then I used them on the Honda. I found them inexpensive, and they wore really well. Don't know about them on motorcycle tire though, but the experience on scooters would certainly let me try them

Comment

I've been using Metzelers on my 1983 GS750ES for a number of years. They are really good tires but somewhat expensive. I've gone "one oversize" so I'm using a Me33 Laser 110/90-16 on the front and a Me55A Metronic 130/90-17 on the rear. Mileage is usually reasonable (8,000 front, 5,000 rear) but I am concerned that my current Me55A rear is almost shot after 3,600 miles. I would be interested in what quality alternatives are currently available in a bias ply.

Simon

Comment

Axel,,
              This is all for my 1983 GS650GD and I measured across the wheel rim not the tire. stock is 100/90 19 front and 130/90 17 rear.
              Front is as wide as I can go but up to 6inch wide clearence in rear which is 155mm so I should be safe with a 140/90 but would like to lower the bike 1 inch without modifying pan/forks/shocks etc. So has anyone gone with 140/80 or 70 and 100/80 front???????????

Tinkerbel,
              you just like the site or do the REALLY make a GS scooter?.. lol

Thanks everyone else too.
              I think Im down to the Metzelers or the Cheng Shin, I got all good feedback on them until SImon's fast wear.
              I only found one set for Metzelers for both and the tread is kinda ugly.
              still looking and open for options

Comment

tire selection

I reckon that the fellows that designed my bike chose a specific tire dimension to optimize the bike's handling characteristics. I am not going to meddle with something that I know will affect how the bike handles.

There are enough hazards out there without adding another one to the mix.

Patrick

Comment

excellent reply patrik,
                  I just want 1 inch and want it as unobtrusively as possible.
                  I was hoping I could make it up here, same rubber contact but slightly shallower tire.
                  stimpy

Comment

Working...
                  X