Engine weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine weight

How much do you guys think my 81 1100E motor weighs without the clutch, stator, starter motor and valve cover? all the egine covers are off also. Think I can lift it without needing an ambulance?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Jethro, don't even try it. Trust me on this, you don't even want to think about a hernia. Get help picking it up.

Comment

Really? I was guessing less than 150 lbs which I should easily be able to muscle out, but I might be wrong. Any more and I would definitely get help.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

it would depend on who, or what you are.
        peoples abilities vary widely, it is impossible to say whether you could man handle it or not without knowing your abilities.
        some of us have done it, some of us have trouble with just a head.
        ether way, it is not light and it is best to have help, it makes it much easier and helps prevent mashed fingers and scratched and banged up frame rails.

Comment

Why not put everything on it's side and lower the frame on to the engine?

Comment

There's an idea! Thats how I'll go about it.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
              That is what I did last time.

Hap

Comment

Re: Engine weight

The real problem is not exactly in lifting it. I can LIFT my 1150 engine, but I cant do anything with it once lifted. :-) Its impossible for me to control the weight so as to be able to lift it out of the bike's frame or to reinstall it. I bolted together an "A" frame of 2 x 4's with a 2 x 8 crosspiece to hang a chain hoist on and put nylon straps around the engine so I could hook onto them to pick it up. No scratches, no strain. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
                How much do you guys think my 81 1100E motor weighs without the clutch, stator, starter motor and valve cover? all the egine covers are off also. Think I can lift it without needing an ambulance?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The weight is liftable, but you have to be careful not to do your back in as it is awkward.

Comment

C'mon guys, I'm an engineer. No one knows if it is 114 lbs or 138? I guess the specs never talk about bare engine weight, so I don't expect anyone to have an exact weight.
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

87Kgs. fully assembled. Clear enough, I lifted my Kat's motor in and out several times by myself, just be careful.
                      Dink
                      I must mention I am 6'3" and over 90kgs myself

Comment

The cases themselves are really light. it's the crank assembly, the transmission, and the cylinders that really pack on the weight. The head is fairly heavy but nothing near the crank weight. If you can remove the head before removing or installing the engine that would help.

Hap

Comment

I'm from the old school of using what's handy. Have a floor jack under the frame to maneuver the engine around to line up the holes & use my mechanics seat to move the engine from the bike to the workbench. It's a 16v 750 & I'm guessing it weighs around 135.

Comment

I've hoisted them in and out of several different bikes and even done some amazing car and truck engine and transmission lifting myself already as I am a large strong person.

But, that being said, I am also going in next Thursday the 18th for triple hernia surgery that I didn't even know I had until the one started to bother me a bit.

Take that for what it is worth :?

I?m my case I think my body not being 19 and in shape is the issue but it can
                            happen to anyone when lifting heavy objects.

Comment

to heavy

I just pulled my 750 16 valve motor and i was suprised how heavy it was i needed help and it was not easy . there is no way that motor can weigh only 135 lbs Get help

Comment

Working...
                              X