No announcement yet.

Engine weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've removed and installed my 850 engine by myself a couple of times, but I am larger and stronger than average. It wasn't fun...

Mainly, I was just anxious to get finished and didn't want to wait on a friend to show up and help.

The "side" technique is probably the best and safest by yourself.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Whilst re-building my Kat 1100 motor I thought I had done the Final build (yeah right ) I had carefully torqued everthing every thread had been cleaned and was easily able to be run in and out by hand etc. I was fantastically pleased , I lifted the motor into the chassis (by myself 8O ) installed the sump, installed the rocker cover, carefully torqued all the engine mounts, fitted the carbs;having cleaned and manually synched them, the ignition, cleaned and checked every electrical connection, carefully routed all the wiring, zip tied it all neatly and mostly hidden. Thought to myself, Hmm just one final check before I fire her up!!!!(insert twilight zone music here ) I removed the ignition cover put a 19mm socket on it and slowly turned the motor over, I got two-thirds of the way to a full revolution and the motor locked up!!!! (insert primal scream) It had taken an entire weekend to get to that point ( I started with the motor assembled on my bench) My wife and children scuttled away in fear of there lives!!! 8O . I had the motor out and back on the bench dis-assembeled in half an hour!!!! Without removing the sump the breather or rocker cover!!! I have no idea how!!! 8O the motor WILL NOT fit in or out with out removing at least the breather cover!!! I know I tried to get it back in with it fully assembled and it will not go into the frame.
      Dink

Comment

Re: to heavy

I just finished pulling a 750 8 valve engine and replacing it with a 750 16 valve. I would call it about 185 lbs.

Earl

Originally posted by graham harron
        I just pulled my 750 16 valve motor and i was suprised how heavy it was i needed help and it was not easy . there is no way that motor can weigh only 135 lbs Get help
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

No help available so just figure out a way to do it solo (which is why I use the mechanics seat to roll the motor to the frame). I'm finishing a motor assembly today & will take the bathroom scales out to weigh it before it goes back in the frame.

Comment

Working...
          X