Powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder coating

Does anyone have any experience with home powder coating? At work we recieve industrial supply catalogs and MSC sells a powder coating kit and paint for not too much money. I scored an old oven at the dump a few weeks ago, have an air compressor- it seems pretty simple! My questions are:

1. Do I still have to prime the parts I want to paint?
    2. Does the oven release toxic or noxious fumes when cooking it?
    3. What kind of parts can I not paint?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I recently had a rack powder coated at a shop. I did all the prep work though and it only cost 20 bucks. I sandblasted the part and promed it with Ospho (phosphoric acid).

You don't need to prime any thing but it doesn't hurt either.

Also if your part can stand the curing temp, then you can powdercoat it.

Comment

Sandblasting brings up another question- can I do this at home? What equipment is needed?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Lots of sand? just kidding TRY THIS (Sears Sandblasting Kit)

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          Sandblasting brings up another question- can I do this at home? What equipment is needed?
          Sears sells a sandblast kit. It is not expensive and is messy. The big need is ALOT of air. I hope you have a HUGE air compressor. otherwise it will intail alot of waiting for the pump to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by whodatpat
            Originally posted by Jethro
            Sears sells a sandblast kit. It is not expensive and is messy. The big need is ALOT of air. I hope you have a HUGE air compressor. otherwise it will intail alot of waiting for the pump to catch up.

The link I posted(now edited) was to the Sears 100lb kit, they also sell a 50lb kit for $20 cheaper, but I like the extra capacity.

When I sandblast, I do it on a tarp or drop cloth so that I can recover at least part of the sand and sift it for re-use

Comment

I want to give these guys a try.....

Welcome to Coating Specialties, your one stop shop for powder, piston and header coatings. Here at Coating Specialties you will receive quality workmanship and a professional attitude. The staff at…

Comment

If you want to blast small parts, that is, most anything on the engine an frame, except the frame, then I would suggest purchasing a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight...the small bench-size ones run around $99.00, and you simply buy the blast media that suits your purpose. I use Aluminum Oxide for heave rust removal, and glass bead for paint and light rust removal. Doesn't require a huge compressor either. And by the way, Sand is a terrible media to use unless you suit up and use air-breathers..Silicoses is a disease that occurs when the silica sand gets into your lungs. Not a good thing. Go with a blast cabinet...www.harborfreight.com

Comment

Powdercoating

Once the item is shotblasted (ie every ounce of paint off it), you have to use electricity so that the powder sticks, then bake the powder on the metal (not plastic) at approx 400 degrees for about 20-25 mins.
                  there are plenty of powdercoating companies that are reasonable.
                  My wheels were $15 each, but I did the shotblasting (using thier equip) and i also masked it up.
                  If they would have done it all, it would have been about $80 a wheel. see my pics at GS1000G PICS uploaded. Phil.

Comment

Working...
                  X