Fitting Fuel Injection Throttle bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting Fuel Injection Throttle bodies

I would like to know if/what intake boots i would need to fit 34 mm GPZ throttle bodies to my 78 gs1000.

thanx
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

The 78 intakes are restrictive, small. You would have to make your own adapters or use a later head

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      The 78 intakes are restrictive, small. You would have to make your own adapters or use a later head
      Yes, much easier to use the '80 and on head which came with 34mm vacuum carbs as standard, it has the inlet ports to match. I believe Hoomgar is doing such a swap, maybe he can fill you in on the details if you wish.

Comment

So, best bet would be to find an '80's head. If memory serves me correct, the shaftdrive bikes came with bigger valves, so one of these would be better right?
        Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

The best 2 valve head is the late ( mid 82 & up) 1100. The intakes are set up for 34mm CV carbs & the exhausts have raised port floors.
          What about port spacing? Are the Throttle bodies spaced the same as a 2 valve GS head?

Terry

Comment

I thought about doing something like a GSXR fuel injection setup on our bikes, however you'd have to modify things a ton. It may be worth it in the end...but you'd most likely have to aftermarket with the engine controls to get the tuning right. A stock tuning for a new modern bike will not give you the right amount of fuel for an older air cooled bike.

Also consider you need to install a crank posistion sensor somewhere...as our engines did not have one. Fabbing one into the ignition pickup area is possible...but not easy.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by humhead
              The best 2 valve head is the late ( mid 82 & up) 1100. The intakes are set up for 34mm CV carbs & the exhausts have raised port floors.
              What about port spacing? Are the Throttle bodies spaced the same as a 2 valve GS head?

Terry
              Your saying a 1100G head would fit on a 78/79 gs1000 motor?

On a side note does't having the smaller intake ports work to your advantage because it gives you a high velocity flow

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Now this got me thinking about if a GSXR 600 engine would fit in our frames....

Comment

Your saying a 1100G head would fit on a 78/79 gs1000 motor?
                  Yes. So would a 1000G head. The 78-9 head's ports are too small for all out performance. Suzuki didn't go crazy when the re-designed the head. Remember 1100Gs came with 34mm carbs - Still small by modern standards.
                  The exhaust ports are also much better. They raised the port floor.

Terry

Comment

An engine swap may be your best bet in the long run unless you just enjoy long hours and a challenge.

Comment

Depending on the EFI you go with, you can actually get away without a crank position sensor. So long as you have a rough idea of rpm, and don't mind batch fireing the injectors.

IIRC there was a bosch system that used a TPS and MAF sensor to do everything.

I am not one to reccomend pulling the efi from another bike to do this. Especially with the price of aftermarket EFI control boxes.
                      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I will be running a Megasquirt DIY fuelinjection controler which does not need a crank sensor and can pick up the RPM from the negative terminal of the coil. I have already done the conversion on a kawasaki dragbike, but due to MSD Ignition problems it is not working past 6000RPM.
                        Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

You got the megasquirt to work - Cool! could you share some pics/Info?

Terry

Comment

I'll try to get some pictures, I don't have any right now. The drag bike has a front mounted garret turbo running 24psi of boost through the same type of throttle bodies that i will be putting on my bike. It runs on a 10" car tire and will have NOS next season. Before the fuel injection it had been as low as 8.9 in the 1/4 with a rayjay and a S&S super bee draw though system.

These are the throttle bodies i will be using:
                            Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Thanks for the pic. What year/model GPZ has those throttle bodies?

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X