Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850 What to do with the breather pipe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 What to do with the breather pipe???

I recently purchased a GS850GN 1980,It came with 4 into 1 micron exhaust and the original air filter and box,it ran like a pig! flat spotting and even more backfiring than usual I decided to remove the air filter and box and replace with k & n individual cone type filters,after a lot of messing about and using different set ups I got it right by dropping the carb needle one notch and re-jetting! I have finally got her purring like a pussy cat only problem I have now is, what do I do with the breather pipe which originally went to the air box housing? can anyone help me,PLEASE? Thanks in advance

Let it breath.

It can be left as is, or you can vent it down to a location neer the swing arm if you don't want that smell getting on you'r clothes. Just use a long hose and run it down behind the trani case.

Comment

Check out my simple breather catch. The catch is from a rear shock dust cover, sealed on the bottom. You can also use a 2 1/2" PVC cap. The hose sits in a groove that lets it sit about a 1/4" off the bottom. Every couple of weeks or so, I just lift the breather/hose and wipe out any fluid with a napkin. Clean and out of sight.
      Just click the WWW symbol below and go to the second to last of my photos.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

You can fit a breather filter and mount it somewhere handy.

Congratulations on getting an 850 to run without its airbox! Does it run well at all RPM? Wanna share your jet and needle setting with the world?

With the carbs left stock, 850s are evil without a fully sealed airbox...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Whoops, I mean a breather filter like this:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Crankcase Breather Hose

I ran mine out to the rear of the bike (piece of fuel hose - it smoked a bit) and added a mini K&N breather filter to fit the 3/8" hose;

Comment

Just wanted to comment. I have a 79 GS850G that runs great without the sirbox on. I dont run it that way because there is somthing about living in the country and geting dirt in my carbs that I dont like but while working on the bike I can take the airbox compleatly off and have no problems "Bone stock needle and jet settings" it dose sound cool to open it up and here those carbs sucking though

Comment

Working...
              X