Has anyone tried this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried copper tubing exhaust headers and pipes. I know they will transfer heat like crazy but they would look great. Also if making my own 2 to 1 open exhaust for a 425E how small should I make the collector to keep enough back pressure?

There is an "age old" method to decide header length. bend and fit the pipes, put a line done them with a grease pen, start the motor and rev it up (best done on a dyno) hold it at high revs and where the grease stops burning is where you cut and join.
    Dink

Comment

copper tarnishes in atmosphere...

Comment

I think the green patina would be pretty cool! give 'er hell!

Comment

I would be concerned that the combustion by-products may start reacting with the copper, eating the pipes out from the inside.....

Comment

I plan on Trying the copper idea just to see what happens. I just have to get the engine rebuilt first. Has anyone built there own muffler? If we're going copper we're going all the way.

Comment

yep

Built my complete exhaust from 1.5 x .065 s/s tubing right from the head to the muffler. Time consuming but a good experience non the less. If I had worked on it steady I would guess 25-30 hours?.....Mike

Comment

I've worked with copper in the manufacturing sector. Personally, I'd stay away. Every fingerprint ends up staining the copper and starts to eat it because of the oil in our skin. Very sensitive stuff. Oil is not really it's friend, can't imagine what it would do as an exhaust of an enigne. If you plan on keeping it polished to look nice, I think you'll be very dissatisfied. As Adam said, it also tarnishes in the atmoshpere very rapidly.

just my .02

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X