Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100E vs. 1980 GS1100G......is there a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100E vs. 1980 GS1100G......is there a difference?

Hey everyone...I'm in need of a new ignition coil...www.bikebandit.com has it in stock for approx $100. It also says that it is for a GS1100G.

1. I have a GS1100E....will that coil work on my bike?

2. Does $100 for this coil sound about right? Just checking

thanks!!!

Rudi

SOUNDS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR JUST ONE COIL--YOU COULD GET A SET OF HIGH PERFORMANCE COILS FOR JUST OVER $100.00 AND THEN YOU WOUL ALSO HAVE TO BUY NEW WIRES

I THEEENK

Comment

Are you certain your coil is bad? Most likely the problem is either the wire or plug cap. And although the wire is glued in it is possible to replace it.
      Axel

Comment

In answer to your question. Im not certain but it could be the same coil. I imagine many bikes from those years used similar coils.
        Axel

Comment

The coil had a bad reading....

The coil had a bad reading with the pocket tester (I think its called). In the shop manual, the reading is supposed to be between 31-33ohms (for the secondary iginition coil). The reading I got was near 51ohms.

Isn't 51ohms a really bad reading???

appreciate your help, by the way!

Rudi

Comment

Its not far enough out to rject the possibility of an in acurate meter. Did you check the other coil and if thre cap is bad on those, you could get a higher reading. I believe that is what Axel was implying. If you checked the other coil and it was within specs, then dismantle the plug cap on the one with the bad reading and clean the connections if possible-. I Theenk 8O

Comment

Slowpoke.....I'll check it out tomorrow..

Thanks for the info...I'll let my biker-friend-guru read your message. Maybe the reading was inaccurate. I hope you're right...that would mean NOT buying a $100 ignition coil.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow night. Thanks!

Rudi
              1980 GS1100E
              89,500 miles

Comment

bye the way....

To answer your question, the reading on the other coil was perfect.

Comment

Re: bye the way....

Originally posted by Rudi
                  To answer your question, the reading on the other coil was perfect.
                  then do what axel suggested and see if the plug cap is bad --Its a ligitimate possibility

Comment

I'll give it a try

Thanks slowpoke...I'll give it a try tonight.

Comment

The only coils I have ever had gone bad are after market ones. The last set (Accell) melted on me. I could tell they were bad by the split in them and the goo oozing out..no tester required!!!

They worked well when they worked, but on an old points GS I would go for the points replacement first, the coils are not that critical relatively

Comment

Working...
                      X