Ebay coils help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay coils help

I remember reading various threads stating that used, more-recent Suzuki ignition coils bought on Ebay would substitute nicely for pricy aftermarket replacements. Is there a universal rule about what year/model bike coils I should pursue when buying for my '81 GS1100E? Any pitfalls to avoid? Do the mounting holes line up? Are the accompanying wires likely to be long enough, or easy to replace to fit my bike? Thanks, Al.

I would disagree that ebay coils make good substitutes for pricey replacements.

I have upgraded to those pricey replacements and they are excellent. If you are looking for a mediocre fix, and possibily the return of problems, ebay coils would be the way to go.

You cannot gaurantee how the coils on ebay will work, and 99/100 times the people selling them do not measure the resistance of the coils to see if they are still good...

~Adam

Comment

If you are on a budget they will work, I bought a set off of ebay,used them for over a year. They were still working when I put the Dyna coils
      on. ebay $20 vs Dyna $150

Comment

I bought some last spring, from a '97 Katana. They were the same part number as my 'GK. $34.00, and work excellent.

Comment

CycleRecycle2 (search Yahoo) has replacement coils for motorcycles at $35...they're similiar to the OEM ones.

I searched Yahoo for "Dyna 3 ohm coils" and the first page had them for $111 for the set.

~AOD

Comment

go for it.

The E-bay coils are the way to go. They are the same part # replacement coils that dealers will sell you for older GS models. For less than ten bucks I got a pair of coils from a 96 GSX-r. I tested them myself with an ohm meeter. If one of them was bad I would have bought another set for under $10.00 from the same guy. They were both good so I bought some new wire from den kirk, and new NGK resistor caps from the dealer.

For less than $30.00 I have a system that works great.

Lots of times the caps and wire ends are what goes bad. I probably could have just shortened my wires a little and replaced the caps.

If you try that first you might get away for even less.

heck if you don't have an electronic ign. you could just get non resistor caps and let the juice hit the plugs full strenght.

Comment

coils

Its a good idea to purchase coils somwhere else then e-bay unless your sure they work properly i have a twin and one of the coils are not working properly even after new points and condensors a new one will cost $200!!!! thats why i am wondering will any coil work for that side as long as it has one output for a plug and a wire to trigger it??

Comment

You need one from a twin Their should be something for it on ebay

Comment

This looks like a reasonable option for bboxer http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...505965832&rd=1

Comment

For dietcokeking should fit your 1100

Comment

coils

thanks for your help

Comment

Many thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on Ebay while I consider my options. Al.

Comment

I have 4-6 coils sitting around...some good, some bad. If you email me, and are interested, I'll measure the resistance to check if they're good, and let know what I have.

~Adam

Comment

I picked up a pair from a 96' RF600 off e-bay for $10 for my 82' 1100E and they tested out fine. I used the resistor caps that came with them but the wires were too short. I picked up a set of wires off e-bay for another $10 and they bolted right on and work like a charm. You can't go wrong for the price.

Comment

So, I've heard that newer bandit and Katana coils work. I might look into that myself. Is it the same for an '83 750E? Will any late '90s or 2000 model work as long as it's 2 plugs per coil?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X