Spark Plug problem - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug problem - please help!

I have a 1983 GS550E and when I changed the spark plugs, I didn't take notice to what order the plug wires go back on.

There's no information on the wires themselves, nor any helpful information in my Clymer manual.

I know the firing order is 1-2-4-3, and there are two plug wires coming out of the left coil, going to cylinders 1 & 2, and two plug wires coming out of the right coil going to cyl 3 & 4.

I tried best I could to kinda guess, but I had some popping at first attempt. Then on the second try, it had a hard time starting, so I put the choke on very high to try to get it to start. It wouldn't turn over at first, then BOOOOOMM a super loud backfire.

Now it won't even turn over. It will crank all day, but not start.

Anyone know what order it should go back on? Like a wiring diagram or something?

Thanks for the help ](*,)

There should be numbered stickers on the wires under the tank, but there is a chance they're gone, so I sugges that you guess.

whatever works?

Also, look how the wires are shaped. See which shape fits each particular hole best. Hopefully you at least have the right 2 wires on each side.....

Comment

I don't have any of my manuals, etc. available to me now, but I do know that if you're correct about your firing order, then you're wrong about which coils fire which cylinders. Each coil fires cylinders 180 degrees apart in the firing order, which means for the firing order 1-2-4-3, one coil fires cylinders 1 and 4; the other coil fires cylinders 2 and 3.

Comment

Hi
        Left coil fires 1&4 right coil fires 2&3.
        This is on the gs1000..
        Think your is the same

Vennlig hilsen

Einar Skog

Comment

Originally posted by Einar J Skog
          Hi
          Left coil fires 1&4 right coil fires 2&3.
          This is on the gs1000..
          Think your is the same

Vennlig hilsen

Einar Skog
          Correct for ALL GS I-4's

Comment

Working...
          X