Reservoir cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reservoir cover

Hi everyone, I took off the cover off of the front brake reservoire, when I put it back I noticed it is leaking on the edge. Can I use some kind of a sealant or no. anyone knows a solution for it.

ard

cover

Hello everyone, as you can see this is a new bike for me, it is a 1982 GS 1100E. I think I will work on this and make this one my principal bike, I like everything about this bike except the color, I think at one point they changed it. however there are few more inportant things on the bike that I like to ask your help to resolve them.
    1 I have no neutral light
    2 There is a red light say's Battery light
    3 There is a red light that flickers says stop light.
    4 the gear indicator does not show 1st it shows 0 for first and neutral
    So I have a buisy instrumental panel, I like to figure out what is what, and I need your help as usual to come through, I hope some day I ll have enough experience to advice others. so they can enjoy their GSes. Thank you all

ard

Comment

I would check the gear position switch, Check the grounds. The battery light is a water level indicator requires special battery-- remove the bulb.
      The plastic brake cover maybe warped?? Check dealer for a new one.

Comment

so unless you have the special battery, the light does not go away,hmmm.
        As for the neutral; you think if the position of the switch is moved the light would not come on, or ground, well all of what you saying makes sence, I will start with these suggetions, I ll let you know in few days. Thank you very much.
        However the cover for the brake reservoir is not plastic it is cast white metal. does the dealer sell those?.

ard

Comment

As for the neutral; you think if the position of the switch is moved the light would not come on, or ground,
          The switch is located near the countershaft sprocket, under the cover there and it is easy for the wires to get damaged (broken, pinched, etc.). I have a similar problem, except my indicator reads "0" for all gears. This winter that switch gets replaced on my 1100...

Mark

Comment

The earlier 80's GS's had plastic reservoirs with plastic lids that were held on with 4 screws. In 82 they went to a metal reservoir with a metal lid, that was held on with 2 screws. The front master is metal on both my GS 1150's, and my wife's "85 "GS 550, and all of them have leaked enough to melt the paint at the top edge of the cylinder, never a drop, just an ooze. Oh yeah, the one on my"83" GS 1100 did the same thing, till I replaced it with a complete master cylinder from an "80" GS 1100, I replaced it apprx 3 years ago & haven't seen any leaks since.

Comment

The front master cylinder cover should have a rubber diaphram type gasket that stays with the cover. Make sure that is not damaged and is in place. If all is right it should not leak.

Comment

Reservoir

Hi Gary, If the rubber diaphram is pitted can I buy a new one?

ard

Comment

Bike Bandit does have them in the OEM section and I am sure some other outlets will too.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                    The earlier 80's GS's had plastic reservoirs with plastic lids that were held on with 4 screws. In 82 they went to a metal reservoir with a metal lid, that was held on with 2 screws. The front master is metal on both my GS 1150's, and my wife's "85 "GS 550, and all of them have leaked enough to melt the paint at the top edge of the cylinder, never a drop, just an ooze. Oh yeah, the one on my"83" GS 1100 did the same thing, till I replaced it with a complete master cylinder from an "80" GS 1100, I replaced it apprx 3 years ago & haven't seen any leaks since.
                    Odd... I went the other way. My plastic reservoir was sun rotted so bad all the screws were stripped and when I was trying to work on it.... the sun rotted plastic shattered. 2 screws or 4, I think I'll stick with metal.

Also looks like the the previous owner tried to use a sealant on the junked reservoir, it didn't help.

Comment

Working...
                    X