Another Clutch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Clutch Question

I replaced the clutch a week or so ago and got it adjusted so it shifts fine, I just doesn't seem to be pulling right. It runs great, it just seems that the clutch may be slipping slightly.
    I've asked this in another thread, but thought I had it resolved.

'83 GS 750E. Cable goes into the tranny case. I have the right amount of slack at the handle.
    The factory manual I have shows another step that I'm not sure of. There is a cover on the side of the tranny cover. It has 3 screws that the previous owner stripped the crap out of. I can't get the 3rd one out. The manual shows an adjustment screw and locknut of some sorts behind that (it looks like?). It states that after you adjust the cable at both ends to get the play, you are supposed to loosen this lock nut and adjust this "Adjusting Screw"?

Sound familiar to anyone? I did a search, but didn't quite see this step anywhere.
    I'm thinking I need to drill out the last screw and make this adjustment?
    Another question: How the heck does the clutch cable attach insid the Tranny? I would like to disconnect it and route it properly thru my 1st and 2nd carb while I'm at it.

Thanks for any help with this. Where's the Dummie's guide to clutch book at?

Dave
    '83 GS 750E

Re: Another Clutch Question

Originally posted by DMPLATT
    I replaced the clutch a week or so ago and got it adjusted so it shifts fine, I just doesn't seem to be pulling right. It runs great, it just seems that the clutch may be slipping slightly.
    I've asked this in another thread, but thought I had it resolved.

'83 GS 750E. Cable goes into the tranny case. I have the right amount of slack at the handle.
    The factory manual I have shows another step that I'm not sure of. There is a cover on the side of the tranny cover. It has 3 screws that the previous owner stripped the crap out of. I can't get the 3rd one out. The manual shows an adjustment screw and locknut of some sorts behind that (it looks like?). It states that after you adjust the cable at both ends to get the play, you are supposed to loosen this lock nut and adjust this "Adjusting Screw"?

Sound familiar to anyone? I did a search, but didn't quite see this step anywhere.
    I'm thinking I need to drill out the last screw and make this adjustment?
    Another question: How the heck does the clutch cable attach insid the Tranny? I would like to disconnect it and route it properly thru my 1st and 2nd carb while I'm at it.

Thanks for any help with this. Where's the Dummie's guide to clutch book at?

Dave
    '83 GS 750E
    Don't have my manual at work, but if I remember correctly.
    Adjust maximum slack with the cable end adjusters, then with the cover removed(one with the stripped screw), adjust the push rod 'til you feel resistance then back off the screw about 1/2 turn and secure with locknut. Then adjust cable end adjusters to correct free play. The cable attaches to an arm located under the sprocket cover and with slack in the cable is easily removed. Recently I had to replace my clutch cable and was amazed how much better the clutch action felt. Maybe a good cleaning and lubrication of the cable is needed. Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm totally confused with this post (but I get confused eaisily, so bear with me). In the first post Dave talks about a cover in the clutch cover with three screws? I know of the clutch cover that has about 9 screws, and no cover on that cover. Then he says that the cable goes into the tranny cover? The cable itself doesn't go into any cover, it externally attaches to the push rod mounted in the clutch cover. Then Dan says that the cable attaches under the sproket cover?

I don't have a 750, so I might be totally of base here, but I'm confused, be cause I thought the 750 was very simaler to my 1100's.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        I'm totally confused with this post (but I get confused eaisily, so bear with me). In the first post Dave talks about a cover in the clutch cover with three screws? I know of the clutch cover that has about 9 screws, and no cover on that cover. Then he says that the cable goes into the tranny cover? The cable itself doesn't go into any cover, it externally attaches to the push rod mounted in the clutch cover. Then Dan says that the cable attaches under the sproket cover?

I don't have a 750, so I might be totally of base here, but I'm confused, be cause I thought the 750 was very simaler to my 1100's.
        750's 16 valve engines prior to 83 were very similiar to the 1100 16 valve engines. In '83 the 750 was changed extensively and bares little resemblance to former 750 16v. engines. In '84 the USA did not even get
        a 750, then in '85 the 750 was downsized to a 700. Does this help?

Comment

Adjust maximum slack with the cable end adjusters, then with the cover removed(one with the stripped screw), adjust the push rod 'til you feel resistance then back off the screw about 1/2 turn and secure with locknut. Then adjust cable end adjusters to correct free play. The cable attaches to an arm located under the sprocket cover and with slack in the cable is easily removed. Recently I had to replace my clutch cable and was amazed how much better the clutch action felt. Maybe a good cleaning and lubrication of the cable is needed. Hope this helps.
          Dan,
          So what you are saying about removing the cable is that if I slacken the cable all the way, it will com out from the arm? Is it hard to get back in the arm? I'm assuming that once I drill the screw out and get that little cover off, I won't be able to see the arm, at least the picture in the manual doesn't show the arm. Or, do I need to take the WHOLE tranny cover off to be able to get to the arm?

Thanks for the info on the adjustment. I think this may be where I'm losing some pull.

Jethro, from what I understand - the '83 changed quite a bit with this. I don't have the arm outside. My cable goes into the top of the tranny case and just has an adjusting stud and lock nut. I have a small cover in the tranny cover that apparently allows access to the push rod adjustment. I can't get the small cover out as I have a stripped screw, so don't yet know what's behinde there - except the picture in the factory manual.
          Hope this explains it a bit better. I was just confused as I hadn't heard of the push rod adjustment before til I was browsing the manual. I shoulda looked there before, but it's not with the clutch replacement. It's under the general maintenance section. Oh well, live and learn. :roll:

Thanks for the help.

Dave
          '83 GS 750E

Comment

Dan,
            So what you are saying about removing the cable is that if I slacken the cable all the way, it will com out from the arm? Is it hard to get back in the arm? I'm assuming that once I drill the screw out and get that little cover off, I won't be able to see the arm, at least the picture in the manual doesn't show the arm. Or, do I need to take the WHOLE tranny cover off to be able to get to the arm?

Thanks for the info on the adjustment. I think this may be where I'm losing some pull.

Dave
            '83 GS 750E
            You'll need to pull the complete tranny/sprocket cover to remove the cable. Your assumption is correct about not being able to see the cable by just removing the outer cover(one with 3 screws/bolts) Once you see how the cable is attached I think it will be clear and yes it is easy to remove. Good luck on removing the outer cover screw.

Comment

Jethro, from what I understand - the '83 changed quite a bit with this.
              Ahhhh, I see. I can then, therefore, be of no assistance what so ever.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You'll need to pull the complete tranny/sprocket cover to remove the cable. Your assumption is correct about not being able to see the cable by just removing the outer cover(one with 3 screws/bolts) Once you see how the cable is attached I think it will be clear and yes it is easy to remove. Good luck on removing the outer cover screw.
                This raises another question to me. I've not had a tranny cover off before, is this an oil draining adventure? Also, is there a gasket needed?

Dave

Comment

This raises another question to me. I've not had a tranny cover off before, is this an oil draining adventure? Also, is there a gasket needed?

Dave
                  No gasket, No oil, unless a seal is leaking which you would have noticed. Under the cover will be nasty with oil, dirt, grime, etc. from the chain. It will be a good time to check your front/drive sprocket for tightness. Keep track of the different length bolts and mark the position of your shift lever to save time on reassembly.

bikebandit reference item 20 is the cover.

Comment

Thanks for all the help Dan.

Now I need one more answer, of which I think I already know.

The Push rod is BENT? I'm thinking it should be straight? It looks like a hardened Dowel rod, I may be able to straighten it a bit.

How could it be bent? I've only had this bike since the beginning of June, could have happened before. What could cause it to bend? Wow.

Thanks
                    Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the help Dan.

Now I need one more answer, of which I think I already know.

The Push rod is BENT? I'm thinking it should be straight? It looks like a hardened Dowel rod, I may be able to straighten it a bit.

How could it be bent? I've only had this bike since the beginning of June, could have happened before. What could cause it to bend? Wow.

Thanks
                      Dave
                      Push rod should be straight. I've had success at straightening clutch push rods(pretty common on our race YSR's, similiar configuration). Can't remember for sure on our GS but I'm thinking the push rods are vunerable if the drive chain breaks. Getting the rod straightened out should improve your clutch action. You're getting there.

Comment

Working...
                      X