steering bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering bearings

how do you get the last one off closest to wheels its stuck,i tried a torch alittle but afraid to damned something,open to ideas.
    its a 84 gs 750es
    and by chance does anyone no part #.

thanx in advance for any help

how do you get the last one off closest to wheels its stuck
    That one should be a press fit onto the stem, so it will be tight. You have a few choices:

1) Heat - Turn your lower triple and stem upside down and use a torch to heat the race until it falls free. It is not very heavy, so you may need to help it a bit with a screwdriver or similar. The triple clamp and stem should be steel (at least they are on my 82 1100E) and you will not damage them that easily. If they are aluminum, different story... :?

2) Cold Chisel - The race is vey hard and brittle and can often be broken off in pieces by hitting it with a cold chisel (and hammer, of course). Be sure to securely hold the triple clamp and support everything well to avoid damaging the triple clamp in the beating process.

3) Dremel - Cut the race with a Dremel and stone. This can also be combined with the cold chisel above. Cut a groove with the Dremel and then use the chisel in the groove to break the race.

Mark

Comment

that i guess i should try first ok thanks i didnt wznt to damage anything so i thougt i'd ask first this time hahaha

so new one has tobe pressed on?

Comment

so new one has tobe pressed on?
        Depends a bit on how tight the fit is. If it is only .002-.003" tight, I would use heat to do it. Put the stem in your deep freeze for a few hours and the race in the oven at about 400-450F for a bit. Pull the stem out of the freezer and quickly drop the hot race onto the stem. It should slide all the way on and seat on the bottom shoulder. It may need a tap or two with a hammer to seat it fully. This has to be done quickly as the race will cool off fast and the clearance you created with the temperature differential will disappear. Bearings are put on this way in industry all the time and it works like a charm as long as your temperature differential is enough to create the clearance you need.

Mark

Comment

The steering brgs PN All Balls 22-1004 From www.denniskirk.com PN 12-1424 for generic at local brg supply lower brg #32006xj upper brg
          32005xj

Comment

A piece of pipe that will just fit over the stem and hammer will work fine

Comment

thanx guys i will give this a try this weekend and hopefully with alittle luck no skin missing.

Comment

Cutting through the races with a dremel will work fine. One little slice and they'll slide off. The material is very hard though, and you'll go through a load of disks.

Comment

Working...
                X